What Is It Like Working in oDesk?

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
1 Posts

What Is It Like Working in oDesk?

[ Edited ]
Today, one of my client asked me a question that to me requires a significant answer. He asked: How long do you intend to do jobs at oDesk? I initially thought of answering it based on the requirements of the job he offered me. But something in my inner feelings burst and sparked making me to respond what was my real reason why I joined oDesk. My reply was: "oDesk was like the hors d'oeuvres my everyday meal. Its a passion that's really a hard habit to break." And if you further ask me what's that burning passion deep within me? Here goes what was written on my profile: "My job is to aid entrepreneurs with my accounting & writing expertise and help solve and augment their business necessities." My job is not at all a job that goes with every penny being paid to me for every job I do. dIts more of a fulfilling desire for a lifelong passion which to many are careers and obligations. This motivation inside me are the things that serve as my fuel in doing great jobs for my every client here in oDesk. The passion for quality work. The obsession to extend a hand to these people who need my skills and expertise. These are what makes me like working at oDesk. I am happy having filled up and solve the things needed by my client. The jobs are not forever, it maybe short or long. it maybe difficult or easy. It maybe financially augmenting or not. But my fulfillment goes up to the brim once I finished the jobs of my every client and did a wonderful way doing them. The performance ratings are just badges that hung along with my passion. How about you guys? Why are you here in oDesk? What is it like working with oDesk?
Power Member
23 Posts

Not sure

[ Edited ]
I'm still new here so I can't exactly say. But that reason why I became a freelancer is because I want to be free. No boss, yanking your chain. Believe me, working for 300php for a cupful of scolding and complaints-- ain't worth it. But with freelancing, not only there's no boss, but it rather convenient working at home. No transportation, no walking for 9 miles-- nothing. Also, just what you said: it also "aid entrepreneurs" with the task. I hope someday I could help a client with their ads or games, etc. As a graphic artist, it's a privilege being part of history, not just earning digital stars. Smiley Happy
Community Guru
749 Posts

Mark :)

[ Edited ]
Congrats! Very nice feedback comments, you have accomplished so much in such a short time Smiley Happy
Community Guru
710 Posts

My reasons are similar to

[ Edited ]
My reasons are similar to yours, Mark. For many years I commuted in and around London for work. If you've ever been to London, you'll know that the transport system can get a little crazy. I got tired of it. I've always been interested in working from home, but initially I found that a lot of ads on-line were not legitimate. I searched around and came across oDesk. I didn't sign up immediately because I wasn't sure if it was the real deal, but then I researched it and eventually signed up. (I've now been here for 2 and a half years) I already had a home office, so I thought 'why not do the same type of work from home?' I found that I could potentially earn the same, if not more money from home. I like that fact that I can choose my own schedule, I'm my own boss, I work from the comfort of my own home and I don't have to pay for work clothing, extra lunch or transportation. Sometimes I play the radio or watch TV while working and I can take as many breaks as I like. OK, you have to consider the cost of electric, an internet connection and other items for your office, but it's a small price to pay in the long run. Applications like Skype make it easier and fairly cheap to have a phone service. Filing taxes once a year also isn't that difficult. I'm also a Singer, Song writer and I have my hands in other pies. I've met some nice clients on-line and I like assisting their businesses. Freelancing works for me.