cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What are things that people get wrong about your line of work?

Community Leader
Nahid H Member Since: Apr 9, 2011
1 of 31

I know there are lot of funny experience on this topics. I just want to know your story.

Community Leader
Zoha U Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
2 of 31

Well, being a graphic designer, I frequently come across clients who ask for Microsoft Word files! There's nothing wrong in that, however, we don't design stuff on "MS WORD". Smiley Very Happy

On my initial days on Upwork, I was even rated bad because the client didn't have the software to open the raw files that they have asked for; which really infuriated me back then. They showed me a blank chrome screen with a message "The file has an error" lol. 

Secondly, some of my relatives think I design Billboards. Period. Nothing else. Smiley LOL

Many a times I need to count them the things a graphic designer generally can design, which undoubtedly is fun to do! 

Nevertheless, it's great to be doing what I do! 

Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
3 of 31

@Zoha U wrote:

Well, being a graphic designer, I frequently come across clients who ask for Microsoft Word files! There's nothing wrong in that, however, we don't design stuff on "MS WORD". Smiley Very Happy

On my initial days on Upwork, I was even rated bad because the client didn't have the software to open the raw files that they have asked for; which really infuriated me back then. They showed me a blank chrome screen with a message "The file has an error" lol. 

Secondly, some of my relatives think I design Billboards. Period. Nothing else. Smiley LOL

Many a times I need to count them the things a graphic designer generally can design, which undoubtedly is fun to do! 

Nevertheless, it's great to be doing what I do! 

Zoha, I think your relatives would get along very well with a member of my husband's family who thought I was an interior designer for years (despite having told her many, many times that I'm a graphic designer). She now (kind of) understands what sort of work I do, but she cannot figure out how I do it online. She simply can't wrap her brain around the concept. I think she believes everything is done with pencils and paper. Then again, this is the same woman who once asked my mother in law which sort of internet she had. When my mother in law asked her to clarify because she thought perhaps it was a question about an ISP, the relative responded that my mother in law's internet must have a lot more stuff on it because she couldn't find anything interesting on "hers". The next question was how many Ws my mother in law's internet had in it. Was it "www" or more than that? 

Ace Contributor
Emily H Member Since: Feb 9, 2011
4 of 31

Melissa that really made me laugh and reminded me of when I used to work as a webdesigner for an ISP, we once had a man come in with a floppy disc and ask if we could put the Internet on it so he could see if he liked it before he signed up. Then there was another chap who had a website designed, he complained that his photos 'weren't stuck down properly' after much confusion it turned out that he was referring to the drop shadow effect on the images! 

Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
5 of 31

@Emily H wrote:

Melissa that really made me laugh and reminded me of when I used to work as a webdesigner for an ISP, we once had a man come in with a floppy disc and ask if we could put the Internet on it so he could see if he liked it before he signed up. Then there was another chap who had a website designed, he complained that his photos 'weren't stuck down properly' after much confusion it turned out that he was referring to the drop shadow effect on the images! 

Emily, I have no words. I'm laughing too hard. I love when people learn a new technology. I also love the ensuing giggles.  

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
6 of 31

Emily H wrote:

Then there was another chap who had a website designed, he complained that his photos 'weren't stuck down properly' after much confusion it turned out that he was referring to the drop shadow effect on the images! 

Pure gold Cat LOL

Community Leader
Nahid H Member Since: Apr 9, 2011
7 of 31

I am a graphics designer myself. I can relate myself with your reply. Yes this is very much common for designers. Sometimes client don't know how much effort it takes for a great design.

My relatives also thinks I design great great stuffs only and gets a loads of money for single design. Sometimes I get hilarious question from elders.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
8 of 31

I work as an editor. One of the things that people don't realize about what I do is that condensing documents is not necessarily easy and coming up with short, effective descriptions (especially for things like grant proposals)  is sometimes really hard work.  I think people assume that if there are fewer words, things should be easier (and of course much faster!). But coming up with a really good slogan, for instance, can sometimes take a long time because you have to consider your words very carefully. 

One of my clients recently sent me this Mark Twain quote, which describes things perfectly: 
"I didn’t have time to write you a short letter, so I wrote you a long one instead."

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
9 of 31

Cheap clients who think that paralegals are "discount lawyers".  If I acted as an attorney, giving legal advice, etc., I would actually be breaking the law.  They just don't get it.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 31

Clients who once you have edited their book, think for the same price you can do the whole publishing package and act as literary agent. 

ETA: And in the same vein, people (not necessarily clients), who think that proofreading comes before editing.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS