cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What are things that people get wrong about your line of work?

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
21 of 31

Renata S wrote:

One of the things that people don't realize about what I do is that condensing documents is not necessarily easy and coming up with short, effective descriptions (especially for things like grant proposals)  is sometimes really hard work.  I think people assume that if there are fewer words, things should be easier (and of course much faster!). 

Ugh, same here -- I charge more for condensing/shortening texts because it takes me a really long time do.Worst is when the client casually mentions that I should cut the word count after we've already set the budget and they've hired me!

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
22 of 31

People who think a paralegal is a discount lawyer.  I can't practice law, I can't give legal advice, I am required to work under the direction of an attorney.  That's called the unlicensed practice of law and I refuse to get in trouble for it. 

Sadly, Upwork doesn't know the difference either.  I haven't sent a proposal for weeks because there are no appropriate jobs posted and every invitation I've gotten for months has involved giving legal advice. Sigh.

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
23 of 31

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Renata S wrote:

One of the things that people don't realize about what I do is that condensing documents is not necessarily easy and coming up with short, effective descriptions (especially for things like grant proposals)  is sometimes really hard work.  I think people assume that if there are fewer words, things should be easier (and of course much faster!). 

Ugh, same here -- I charge more for condensing/shortening texts because it takes me a really long time do.Worst is when the client casually mentions that I should cut the word count after we've already set the budget and they've hired me!

This one is really hard to explain to people. I frequently work with science & tech articles, and clients often think that abstracts -- research summaries that are typically only a few hundred words long -- should be simple to write. In reality, summarizing research studies means that you need an intimate knowledge of both the discipline and the ideas guiding the research agenda. The abstracts are a often a distillation of quite a lot of information.  

Abstracts are also one of the places people tend to exceed word limits (especially for grant proposals). It's tough to explain that it might take me an hour to get one down to 200 words if I'm working with an idea that's complex to summarize. But there are often direct payoffs for doing it well. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
24 of 31

People who think writing is just typing. **Edited for Community Guidelines** who argue with you that a 500 word thing should take 20 minutes because...like you know.... you just have to copy paste words from the first article in Google and just rearrange them to make it pass copyscape. Passing copyscape means it's not plagiarized right?

**Edited for Community Guidelines** that hire cheap ESL writers from Fiverr only to have me "edit" it and get all butthurt that their $20 article cost them $300 for me to make an effort to understand what on earth is going on in that mess and rewrite it into something that isn't even that good based on the trash I had to go on. Woulda cost them like maybe $200 if they just had me write it.

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
25 of 31

Jennifer M wrote:

People who think writing is just typing. Morons who argue with you that a 500 word thing should take 20 minutes because...like you know.... you just have to copy paste words from the first article in Google and just rearrange them to make it pass copyscape. Passing copyscape means it's not plagiarized right?

Idiots that hire cheap ESL writers from Fiverr only to have me "edit" it and get all butthurt that their $20 article cost them $300 for me to make an effort to understand what on earth is going on in that mess and rewrite it into something that isn't even that good based on the trash I had to go on. Woulda cost them like maybe $200 if they just had me write it.

I just tell them I can make it pass copyscape no problem. What they're going to have to pay dearly for is humans being able to read it. 

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
26 of 31

Expecting me to be online 24/7.

Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
27 of 31

Since you are at home all day could you...

Community Leader
Nahid H Member Since: Apr 9, 2011
28 of 31

Ha Ha Ha! This happens to me every time. My parents and relatives think as you are sitting at home, please do that, do this.

I've spent a whole week at the hospital with my grand father. He has 2 other son, but no one came to visit, because they are working on their office and literally busy.

Camiel V Member Since: Aug 29, 2018
29 of 31
This. Family members who think greelancing means they have to keep me busy (shopping, cleaning, walking the dogs, etc.). I'll hapily do these things after my planned work. In the same line, friends thinking you can drink all day, hence showing up with sixpacks. Thanks guys, but I have four deadlines today...
Community Leader
Nahid H Member Since: Apr 9, 2011
30 of 31

But the thing is freelancers don't waste time on **Edited for community guidelines** social media's. I am from Bangladesh, I don't use facebook. It's like shocking issue that how come I don't use facebook.

Showing you off on **Edited for community guidelines** friends online can make you more dumb only. Read some books, blogs.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS