cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are things that people get wrong about your line of work?

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
11 of 31

ETA: And in the same vein, people (not necessarily clients), who think that proofreading comes before editing.

THIS!!!!!

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
12 of 31

@Kat C wrote:

ETA: And in the same vein, people (not necessarily clients), who think that proofreading comes before editing.

THIS!!!!!

@Nichola and Kat

That one comes up so frequently that I have a standard line for it: Proofreading a document that needs copyediting is like trying to frost a cake that's still in the oven.

Community Leader
Nahid H Member Since: Apr 9, 2011
13 of 31

What is the difference between proofreading and editing?

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
14 of 31

Nahid H wrote:

What is the difference between proofreading and editing?

$$

But the longer answer is that proofreading is generally what you do on things you can read (small corrections) and editing is what you do on things you can't  (large surgical language interventions). 

Camiel V Member Since: Aug 29, 2018
15 of 31
Then you're either a bad editor or a really complete proofreader. In my
opinion it's the use of your red marker (proofreading) vs re-organizing all
text of a publication (editing)
Camiel V Member Since: Aug 29, 2018
16 of 31

How about people who think proofreading includes re-translating a very badly translated text for about 1/4th of the translation fee?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 31

re: "They just don't get it."

Or maybe they do get it, but just don't care.

Maybe they don't feel like there is any risk to them in asking you for legal advice.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
18 of 31

Melissa and Emily - thank you both for making me LOL a lot!  Your stories are priceless ... and def. cheered up my mood. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
19 of 31

@Wendy C wrote:

Melissa and Emily - thank you both for making me LOL a lot!  Your stories are priceless ... and def. cheered up my mood. 

I particularly liked Emily's floppy disk story! Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
20 of 31

Renate, most of my documents are for business decision-makers. I'm still looking for people who can help me; they want to be paid by the word or page. A three-page document has far less value than a two-pager that accomplishes the same goal. Two paragraphs almost always beat two chapters. A frame of reference that measures value in impact and conciseness is foreign to the artikul ritters and by-the-page florists.

To the OP: The vast bulk of what I do is talking clients through issues. The typical reaction is summed up by one client's parting remark, "Thanks for the conversation." The greatest value I ever create is in identifying the real underlying issue, but those who are sure they have the right issue and the perfect solution see no value in that, just in executing their plans.

My hourly rate is too high, because I can get this done by someone in East Absurdia for $10. A client who hired me to fix a project and promised me ten percent of the savings refused to pay my bill. I cut a $12M project to $6M in three hours, but "Nobody's worth $200,000 an hour."

Then there are those who believe my expertise is in what I'm doing at the moment. I've been fixing and improving businesses for nearly fifty years, and have done almost everything. Many prospective clients remind me of the pet owner who takes his dog to a different veterinarian, because the first one only works with left front paws. On dogs. Female ones. Golden Retrievers.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS