🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: What are your side hustles outside of Upw...
Page options
raofdesigns
Community Member

What are your side hustles outside of Upwork?

Really interested to know if anyone has any other jobs/side hustles they do outside of Upwork? Personally I have a couple of blogs/website as well as a YouTube channel that I make a small amount of income from. I'm also looking to write a couple of books to generate some passive income. I'm always interested to hear other perspectives though!

34 REPLIES 34
moonraker
Community Member

I have a (very) small writing agency that hasn't recieved much TLC for some time. I'm really just serving existing clients without focusing on expansion, despite expansion being my intention to begin with. I also have a website that I have barely touched in god know's how long.

I'm just so busy with my Upwork clients that I don't have time for anything else. 

When I lived in New Orleans, I worked as a background extra on films and TV shows.  Since moving to Biloxi, I've only done a couple.  Pay is terrible but it's a whole lot of fun (usually) and I get to use a different part of my brain.  I miss it a lot.

I have applied to, and have provisionally been accepted for, the position of "grandmother" to one male and one female human.

Expected date of employment to begin on or around late May. Possibly sooner.

I understand that the financial remuneration is lousy, though.

I have an etsy store and it was doing well but it was way too time consuming for the income it generated. I want to retool it though, and offer t-shirts and other graphic design services that don't need day to day creativity to maintain. I have zero time though because the virus has made book designers a valued commodity on Upwork.

Aww wow Janean that's fantastic! Congratulations!

I do a few editorial and writing work outside Upwork besides maintaining two personal blogs.

aziz_92
Community Member

I invest in the stock market on the side. It's not completely passive as I have to do research and keep up to date. I spend about 5-10 hours / week doing this.

90ad35d8
Community Member

Such a good question Rachael, and interesting to see what others do!

After realizing my resume-writing skills need improving, I took them off my profile to focus on copywriting jobs. In the meantime, I joined the National Resume Writers' Association to take classes and get certified. I'm studying up now between Upwork jobs!

re: "What are your side hustles outside of Upwork?"

I am a private dancer. A dancer for money.

I don't limit myself to any specific genre of dance. And any old music will do.

My goal is to make a million dollars and buy a place out by the sea.

A. Do you do any sensual dances to the Jeopardy theme song? and B. How much?

lysis10
Community Member

I party like it's 1999.

I tried that movie thing once, lonnng time ago (80s.) Was promised the thing was crap, was a tax write-off, so don't worry if you're bare-arsed in one scene, Cat. Nobody will ever know, Cat, and you'll make great money for the days rhat scene shoots. Plus, it will be fun.

Yeah. Never so bored in my life. Production was so cheap we ate the same catered food days in a row; many of us got the green apple quick-step. Including me. They did give me a short brown flip wig, to ensure nobody would ever find out I was in the thing. After all, it would go directly to drive-ins, they swore.

The flick's title was "Porkys."

A laugh a minute especially when some idiot called my (extremely syraight-laced, bible-belted) parents with, "Hey Bill! Saw Cat in Playboy and oh my goodness!" Lead balloon city.

Never did another flick: I did open a talent agency and cast the next two "Porky's." Oh, the tales I tell!

These days I own a whopper of a reality TV site, based on Big Brother of all things. 

Life is never boring.

Catherine L wrote:

I tried that movie thing once, lonnng time ago (80s.) Was promised the thing was crap, was a tax write-off, so don't worry if you're bare-arsed in one scene, Cat. Nobody will ever know, Cat, and you'll make great money for the days rhat scene shoots. Plus, it will be fun.

Yeah. Never so bored in my life. Production was so cheap we ate the same catered food days in a row; many of us got the green apple quick-step. Including me. They did give me a short brown flip wig, to ensure nobody would ever find out I was in the thing. After all, it would go directly to drive-ins, they swore.

The flick's title was "Porkys."

A laugh a minute especially when some idiot called my (extremely syraight-laced, bible-belted) parents with, "Hey Bill! Saw Cat in Playboy and oh my goodness!" Lead balloon city.

Never did another flick: I did open a talent agency and cast the next two "Porky's." Oh, the tales I tell!

These days I own a whopper of a reality TV site, based on Big Brother of all things. 

Life is never boring.

Did you get to meet Hef? My god that would be awesome. Meeting Hef at the Playboy Mansion. That would be so cool. I've been watching Girls Next Door. I blew $90 of my NEETbux on the DVDs cuz you can't find it streaming anywhere but YouTube and some of the episodes are removed because female body parts are OMG CENSOR THEM.

kristen_oneill
Community Member

Upwork is my side hustle. I use my Upwork monies to spend frivolously on myself and kids so that my husband cannot b***h at me for "buying stupid stuff that I dont need". Ironically he "needs" 5924 pairs of ugly dress socks that he can never find matches to. I work for DHS as a full time gig. 

I make jewellery and sell it at craft markets a couple of times a year. But I guess it's more of a hobby than a side hustle, since I probably spend more money on tools and materials than I actually earn. 🙂

Christine A wrote:

I make jewellery 

PHOTO please 🙂

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

I make jewellery 

PHOTO please 🙂

PM'd you. 🙂

danastere
Community Member

I Dj and i have an events agancy, ( Really pandemic friendly business I know:).

But I don’t consider any a side hustle, I am invested in all, including Upwork, all the same importance.

I own a health and beauty business (shut down during coronavirus period) and I make jewelry that I used to sell at craft markets but lately stock at the business.

I forgot to mention I am a licensed reiki practitioner as well. 

(Just when you thought you knew someone, eh?)

ac1e32b8
Community Member

I buy and sell digital assets, mobile apps and websites

Ahh, like what's on Flippa?

Yes sometimes, I've been doing all this since 2008, so I know guys who know guys 🙂 

If I may ask a question..... do you prefer Flippa over Go Daddy auctions?

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

I keep myself within my skill and talent set, yet apply them to long-term projects. 

Within 30 days, an eco-educational text will be coming out. A nice 100-pager.   A three-year project has resulted in a 465-page, 126,000-word Novel. That one is scheduled for release in January 2021.

These are "side jobs" that are start-finish, can provide residual income, and are a pleasant integration into my business writing day.

Net. Pick a long-term project that will make you money.  Let your "side hustle" be strategic in nature, enjoy the ride, and make money with strategic time frames involved. Risk more, make more and let the daily work take care of the rent and food.

John.

John B wrote:

Pick a long-term project that will make you money.  Let your "side hustle" be strategic in nature, enjoy the ride, and make money with strategic time frames involved.

Bugger that. My PhD proposal has just been accepted and I've done most of the research for an historical biography since lockdown.  (I've also embroidered two cushions but that isn't interesting.)

I'm much too old to make it all about money.

Upwork is the side hustle from now on, especially as I have some work in a place that offers less headaches. I will be back to insist on being called 'doctor' though. 

Congratulations Kim (on the acceptance).

Pics of the cushions? 

Nichola L wrote:

Congratulations Kim (on the acceptance).

Pics of the cushions? 

Thanks, Nichola.

Maybe later for pics... once they're less flat-looking 🙂

martina_plaschka
Community Member

I've recently discovered the beauty of vintage handstitched needlepoint, I free them from their boring old wooden frames and turn them into funky bags and pillows. If you'd like to see them in my Etsy shop, please PM me!

majormoore
Community Member

I am a professional luxury hotel concierge and cookbook author 😉

I am an inline skating instructor and once in a blue moon I become a kind of amateur tourist guide on wheels around my city. Needless to say both activities have been dead for me during these pandemic times. I also work in social media for an European skating school, where I respond questions by people who are learning and/or are subscribers/followers.

kinector
Community Member

Rachael, I didn't even know it would a good idea to depend on just one sales channel when you're a freelancer.

Thanks for educating me.

Now I understand a few things better over here. 🙂

I love analyzing financial charts and discussing trades based on technical analysis. Is it too late to say Amazon would come out of the pandemic much stronger?

I'm writing insrumental music and starting to write lyrics.

189e4e2f
Community Member

Outside Upwork 🤔
I am an Esoteric Occult Mystery Maestro (Teacher and Coach), also an Expert Think Tank and Creative/ Business Consultant.
I help build startups
Latest Articles
Learning Paths