🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » What could be the problem if the client stopp...
Page options
noda-yoshikazu
Community Member

What could be the problem if the client stopped responding on the interview phase?

Hi everyone,

I just had two same insidents lately. I submitted a proposal, then the client sent me a message telling he wanted to have an online talk. I said okay and proposed the possible timing to have the chat. Then the client stopped responding (actually he never responded after making his request for a talk). Anyway then I had the same incident after that.

I am wondering what is happening and check if there is something I can do to know why this is happening so I will not experience this again.

Thanks,

-Yoshi

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
youssefbahaa
Community Member

Hi Yoshikazum, I believe most of the clients, if not all of them, interview more than one freelancer at the same time. Some of them (Not all) may just stop responding once they find what they are looking for or if they changed their mind. I guess that's what happened to you !

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
youssefbahaa
Community Member

Hi Yoshikazum, I believe most of the clients, if not all of them, interview more than one freelancer at the same time. Some of them (Not all) may just stop responding once they find what they are looking for or if they changed their mind. I guess that's what happened to you !

The problem also is lack of manners. I've been on Upwork for the last 4 years, and I'm amazed at how rude most of the clients are.

They must not see us as human beings with feelings. Smiley Sad

Thanks for the message. I shouldn't be the one who is not responding 🙂

Yes I fully agree with you! 

Thanks Youssef,

I guess you are right about it. Multiple bad things can happen in a row sometimes. I should know.

-Yoshi

bagalisvili-maga
Community Member

Greetings;

It also happened to me. I just think some people don't think freelancers are waiting for their jobs. Especially when they're newer and get so excited when they think a client trusted them. I, personally, get so excited when I see a new message. But they don't really think it's necessary to write: "I'm sorry but I've found what I wanted. Goodbye." They just stop responding. So don't worry and don't get never ever angry.

Farewell.

robric
Community Member

Don't waste your time with online interviews. If the client won't write their requirements down (a) they are an intermediary logging time (b) they are info mining (c) they don't actually know what they want. Freelancing is fact based the rest is in your imagination.

Richard F wrote:

Don't waste your time with online interviews. If the client won't write their requirements down (a) they are an intermediary logging time (b) they are info mining (c) they don't actually know what they want. Freelancing is fact based the rest is in your imagination.

That rule may work fine for you. I have never accepted a project without either an online or phone discussion of specs and scope, and can't imagine that I ever will. I think policies like that are entirely dependent on your category and how you run your business.

I based my comment on 11 years experience freelancing on this site. I have had fruitful chats but only AFTER the contract is in place

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

It's not unheard of for a client to ghost you, even after initiating a conversation. But it's also not unheard of for messages to be delayed. It has happened to me several times over the past 15 months or so, always in that scenario: client and I are in the process of scheduling an interview -- by chat or by phone -- and the client stops responding. Later -- one time 24 hours, one time several days, one time nearly two weeks -- the client's message shows up.They had actually sent it that same day but I couldn't see it. So from their end, it looked like I was the one who stopped responding.

I think this is relatively rare but it does happen. UW is aware of it and trying to diagnose the problem. I would encourage you to keep an eye out and any time it does occur that a message was delayed, to report it to UW.

It happened to me this week.

We arranged for a zoom chat on Monday but he didn't show. I sent a follow up asking if he'd like to reschedule but no reply. Zilch. Nada. And he's been online every day. 

It is a tad frustrating but there's a grand total of ****all that one can do about it so there's no point in dwelling on it.

Jamie F wrote:

It happened to me this week.

We arranged for a zoom chat on Monday but he didn't show. I sent a follow up asking if he'd like to reschedule but no reply. Zilch. Nada. And he's been online every day. 

It is a tad frustrating but there's a grand total of ****all that one can do about it so there's no point in dwelling on it.

By the time they're old enough to be on Upwork, it's too late to teach them manners, I guess. So better forget about them.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths