Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do with an afternoon off?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
11 of 36

When I take an afternoon off, I spread out on the sofa and read a good book until I fall asleep.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 36

Reinier B wrote:

Slightly off topic- or perhaps not...

Seeing Petra's Jaguar reminded me that when I retired from the car repair industry, the very last job I did before handing over my workshop to the new owner was replacing a 2-year-old Jaguar's engine. Here's hoping that Petra gets better mileage from the engine in her car!  

I have never made a mistake buying a used car or a horse.

I have, twice, let my heart rule my head when buying a car. I KNEW both times that things weren't 100% but was seduced by beauty and speed (BMW 3.0 CSI) and acres of shiny black curves, and acres of soft leather and gleaming wood inside (The Jag)

In fairness, after spending too much money getting it perfect in Scotland, it carried me, my dog, my cat and everything I owned all the way through Scotland, England, France, across the alps and through Italy down to here in style and comfort and had the decency to keep going a whole 7 months before the gearbox blew up while overtaking into oncoming traffic.

Against my better judgment I had the gearbox replaced and it kept going, but it has suffered an intermittend electronic problem for the last year.

Should scrap it but can't quite bring myself to do so.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
13 of 36

If I'm not working the following day then it's a trip to the pub for me.

If I am working then I'll spend the afternoon playing with the kids if they're about. Or maybe spend the rest of the day (PC) gaming. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 36
I don’t take afternoons off. I take mornings because I’m not a morning person. I found a gym friend and we have a standing morning gym sesh together and then I do errands. If I’m away too late I don’t mind working later.

I’m like a 1-6 type worker. So much better for me than a 9-5 where I just stared at my screen until noon.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Joynul A Member Since: Jun 27, 2015
15 of 36

I love to look at the movies. Typically I am going to a resort with my friends. Smiley Happy

Joynul Abedin
Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
16 of 36

I like to post in the forum. Also, tequila works.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
17 of 36

Propose more projects.  But, I am a fanatic business person who has an Upwork life and human life integrated into surprisingly few purposes.

Profit is surely in the big three.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
18 of 36

But then again, I am 57 and plan for two more years on Upwork.  I want to drive this third-career-of-mine to the ultimate limit of success and see if I can touch the stars by the measures I consider a solid judge of a career.  Delivery Prestige and Business Profit. 

Then it will be time to start my fourth career, and that one is designed to make sure my 2017, 2018, and 2019 mentees do not so very much have to work by age 30.  Or, have many careers if that is what pleases them.

As I think about it, I spend a lot of my time off working with them.  Setting goals. Pushing them to the limit.  Attempting to break their will to succeed.  Teaching management and delivery tactics. Coaching on strategic skillsets.  Sharing the pain.  In summary: forming them into global-class business superstars. 

That will be useful in 2022. Sort of all the same thing, as I think about that some more.  A perfectly integrated life courtesy of Upwork.

Driven to succeed has no off switch in some people.

John.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
19 of 36

OK mods (all of you) it's your turn. What do you guys do on your afternoons/mornings off? 

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
20 of 36

Hello Nichola!

In the mornings, I usually play video games such as Dota 2, Warframe or HOMM3. Actually, Dota has been my morning routine for a few years now (now slowly changing). And yeah, I play supporting position there Robot LOL That is pretty much the only certain thing during any given day (except for the weekends). 

Most of the days off are spent watching movies and TV shows, but after doing that obsessively for almost 20 years I'm slowly running out of things to watch.

On some days I go fishing. The only problem with that is that I'm planning a fishing trip for almost 2 years now and somehow never manage to find time even though it's like 10-15 mins walk from here.

There is nothing special that I do or can do and every day is pretty much the same as any other which is great!

And yes, there is always music playing in the background and that makes everything more fun Smiley Happy

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS