🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » What do you think is the most challenging thi...
Page options
7b47d502
Community Member

What do you think is the most challenging thing?

What do you think is the most challenging thing in freelancing?
10 REPLIES 10
bf97c28c
Community Member

Hi, Sarah. It's of these days question. For me, it myself motivation to work in the summer. And what about you?

For me it's the fear that whether the client will like my work or not.

205dd0d3
Community Member

Getting my first project is a huge undertaking. I have been at it for weeks and haven't had anyone reach out or had a rise in profile views. Once a person gets their feet wet, their response to this question will differ from mine. However, this is where I now stand. 

Use the links to the Academy. You can get advice on your profile, which needs work. There are many helpful resources for proposals, as well.

Yes, I know it needs work. Thanks. I will soon make time to begin that excursion--laying the groundwork and refining it, adding projects and what-have-you. Meantime, I did take some steps today. I know I'll get there, but it is frustrating. 

We all started at the same place. Expertise in the physical world does not translate to instant online success. It's hard breaking into freelancing, and the majority fail. However, they fail because they had no marketable skills.

Good for you to take those steps! With your attitude and willingness to adapt, you will get there. It can be frustrating for even seasoned online users. There is a tremendous amount of competition, so you need to find ways to think outside the box.

Boost only if you want to, and if you know you are one of the best people for the job. Otherwise, boosting is just burning through connects.

Apply and don't look back. Don't become invested in a job. Keep applying for jobs in your skill set. Some of your frustration will go away if you are not watching for a response from potential clients.

And always watch for scams. Any time the client wants you outside of Upwork before a contract is in place, is a scam.

Now I am more confused than ever, as I began setting up my profile by referring to the pages of others. Yet from what you say, my profile would have been better off without that. Okay, but then to add confusion, I looked at your profile, Jeanne, and there's so little there. Why is that? 

So little there? Well, apparently my clients disagree. If you are referring to my portfolio, I have pulled all but one. Why? Because I am tired of seeing my work all over the 'net and on other profiles. I send clients appropriate documents when applying. I do not recommend this course of action; it is my choice to deal with the problems I have.

You have to decide how you want to conduct business. Upwork has their ideas, "experts" have their ideas, experienced freelancers have their ideas, and you certainly have your own ideas. There is no "one-size-fits-all" for profiles, portfolios, or proposals.

Read, and choose what fits you, your business style, and your profession.

celgins
Community Member

I think the most challenging thing in freelancing is your own mind.

Over the years, we all discover that some tactics work well, while others fail miserably. There is a lot of trial and error in the beginning, and it continues throughout your freelancing life. You learn and get better over time, and each person has to figure out what works best for them (i.e., working environment, using sites like Upwork, pursuing offline projects, work/life balance, etc.)

Through it all, the constant process of thought, contemplation, worrying, wondering, questioning, decision-making, etc., will affect your freelancing more than any external influences.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Sarah,

I have been freelancing for 25 years and on average have experienced major changes in my industry every five years that I had to quickly adapt to. Now I am adapting to generative AI based upon my clients new business strategy needs. In my opinion after completing around 100+ Consultations and Projects during the past six months, generative AI will be the BIGGEST change for both freelancers and clients in their lifetime.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths