cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if your computer is broken or dead in this pandemic!!!

Highlighted
Community Leader
Md E Member Since: Apr 26, 2018
1 of 23

Imagine you got some emergency tasks in schedule for some busy clients. Suddenly you see your only computer/laptop is dead, is not working!!!

You cannot go out because Virus spread out in your area very badly. Every store is closed and no online service available.

How do you handle this situation?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 23

??
Just use another one of your computers.

Or borrow a computer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
3 of 23

Buy a computer online.  I never go to a store to buy one.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
4 of 23

Md E wrote:

Imagine you got some emergency tasks in schedule for some busy clients. Suddenly you see your only computer/laptop is dead, is not working!!!

You cannot go out because Virus spread out in your area very badly. Every store is closed and no online service available.

I have other computers I could use.  I backup my work through a variety of means so I could switch computers.  If I didn't have another computer I would have to go buy one.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 23

Md E wrote:

MdE, are you describing a hypothetical situation or a real one? If it's hypothetical, and you only have one computer, then I think you should contact family and friends to see if you can borrow one, in case yours packs up. 

If the situation is for real, and you really cannot order a computer online, then there is no real answer. The only way to get through it would be to contact a mod here and ask them to set your profile to private and ask them to contact your clients. And after that - just grin and bear it - not easy. I would go into meltdown for sure. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 23

This happened to me towards the latter half of last year. I managed to contact my clients via email on my husband's work laptop and just explain what was happening.

I managed to get a new laptop within three days and do some major catching up.

As to connectivity issues, I had this issue last week. There was no internet in my area - not only my service provider but others as well. Our whole area was just dead.

So, after the two days it was down, I sent my clients my apologies plus the reason. They understood because they know my work ethic and I have worked with most of them for quite some time. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 23

Md E wrote:

There would never be a situation where I would have an "only laptop"

I murder laptops. No, honestly, I do. I went through a period where my laptops lasted 7 months on average.... 

So last year I invested in a nice big Desktop Mac which is difficult to pour wine or coffee or orange juice into. I also have a spare Windows laptop that kind of works, and a very old Windows all-in-one that's ok for most work, just a bit slow, an iPad Pro with proper keyboard and an iPhone. There is also a laptop graveyard in the bottom of my wardrobe. May they rest in pieces.

When your business depends on having a computer and an Internet connection, you absolutely have to have a spare (or two if you are like me) of those.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
8 of 23

Petra R wrote:

Md E wrote:

There would never be a situation where I would have an "only laptop"

I murder laptops. No, honestly, I do. I went through a period where my laptops lasted 7 months on average.... 

So last year I invested in a nice big Desktop Mac which is difficult to pour wine or coffee or orange juice into. I also have a spare Windows laptop that kind of works, and a very old Windows all-in-one that's ok for most work, just a bit slow, an iPad Pro with proper keyboard and an iPhone. There is also a laptop graveyard in the bottom of my wardrobe. May they rest in pieces.

When your business depends on having a computer and an Internet connection, you absolutely have to have a spare (or two if you are like me) of those.

I don't murder them, but I do have two laptops (large and small), a surface pro, and an old chromebook and old windows laptop as well. I have different size machines so I can work from anywhere. I decided I never wanted a desktop again, which is why I have a larger, higher capacity laptop that docks on my desk to multiple monitors. The small laptop I take to client meetings (although haven't had to do that since COVID started), and the Surface Pro I originally got so I could run around during the day and do things but still work. I had this idea I'd go sit in a beach front cafe and work...also pre-COVID. 

But like you, I have murdered a couple laptops so I always have a back up that I maintain with the setup I need, so I don't miss a beat with work. I think maybe that should be in the newbies top 10 tips - have a backup plan! lol

Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
9 of 23

I must lead a charmed life. I've never yet had a computer (or disk drive) die on me. And I've been using computers since before Windows was a twinkle in Bill Gates' eye. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
10 of 23

Richard W wrote:

I must lead a charmed life. I've never yet had a computer (or disk drive) die on me. And I've been using computers since before Windows was a twinkle in Bill Gates' eye. 

Maybe you just treat them with more respect than some of us (as my cheeto dust covered fingers type this to you - just kidding, I don't eat cheetos). 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS