🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » What is an Oak?
Page options
isamybaxy
Community Member

What is an Oak?

Hello World: I am Nigerian, an alien from outer space.

This is first contact

31 REPLIES 31
petra_r
Community Member

samuEL Adimabua N wrote:
What is an Oak?

Hello World: I am Nigerian, an alien from outer space.

This is first contact

Sorry, what are you referring to???

The question is: what do you think?

samuEL Adimabua N wrote:

The question is: what do you think?

OK - (or should I say Oak A?) So if you are from outer space and not from Nigeria, an oak is a tree. Smiley Wink

Come to think of it - what is the  general word for oak tree (quercus) in Nigeria? There seem to be many versions on Google. 

Nigeria or outer space - welcome. 

Correct! Nichola.

But to some, they see a seed, a very valuable seed.

That Oak "is" your grandma, in another life.

That's why you're only human.
Only humans live with doubts.

When your doubt is clear, you will prove yourself.

A Nigerian from outer space would have no first-hand context for what an oak tree is.

This is a legitimate question.

Actually, anybody - Nigerian or otherwise - who has lived in outer space their entire life would have no firsthand knowledge of oak trees.

Because there are no oak trees in outer space.

This fact would be obvious to anybody who has lived in outer space or studied outer space.

Okay Preston.
Have you ever been to outer space?
The answer obviously is "No"

So that nullifies all your thesis.
Rather what you should be saying is:
Hi I'm Preston, I got a big ego... well coz I'm worth very much.

In talking about oaks today we all can agree it was fun.

So now let's talk about Oak which was the first name chosen for Java. So many people gave different reasons to why that name was chosen. Let's talk about James Gosling and let's talk about ECMA and the birth of JavaScript.

I thought you were asking about oak trees.

I had no idea that Oak is the name of the programming language that evolved into Java.

Well - every story has it's beginnings.
Like the first tap root that emanates from an Oak tree.

I do believe James Gosling had immense depth at the time when the language was born.

I "had" been a developer for over 14years but I only started being a developer when I understood why I chose programming in the first place.

A history at what happened at Sun Microsystems - Now oracle became part of my rebirth!

So Preston you're a guru here?
You must know your way around.

I've been in Upwork since Elance.
It is now time for the Big score.

That's why I'm here.
I need eyes and ears.

Same to Nichola.

samuEL Adimabua N wrote:
That's why you're only human.
Only humans live with doubts.

When your doubt is clear, you will prove yourself.

+1000

Hi Nichola,

I'm new to the Upwork community. On a tweet feedback from Upwork - I was invited to come in here and learn. I have nothing more to learn in this life.

But what I do need is a way around.

I'm looking to setup a team of developers to build something more than extraordinary for the planet.

I could go on and on but I need to know I've got your attention and we can talk via direct feedback using the community private message.

Thank you.

re: "I'm looking to setup a team of developers to build something more than extraordinary for the planet."

Using Oak?

We build with the Spirit of the Oak.

The Tree is big, strong, evergreen and a dominant tree in the north temperate forest that provides an ecosystem for so many living things, there is so much we can learn from the great oak. 

It is extra ordinary like the baobab tree in Africa.

Upwork suggested I could find what I'm looking for here - The right client and the right team of developers.

re: "Upwork suggested I could find what I'm looking for here - The right client and the right team of developers."

Hmmm... There appears to be some confusion on this point.

If you wanted to find a client or hire freelancers or developers, or build a team... you would do all of those things on the main site at:

https://www.upwork.com

You would not be able to do those things in the Community Forum.

I understand that some posters cannot at all recognize an invitation to philosophical, even poetic, argument - but is this a reason to accuse the OP of 'confusion' or wishing to recruit without going through usual channels?  

I have been a developer since before Odesk + Elance became Upwork.

I'm not recruiting.
The community I believe is a place where developers and clients alike can meet and talk anything besides the usual Job hunt and proposals.

If it's for just freelancers then it is a community regardless. Freelancers with experiences from different parts of the world can come together, share ideas, build partnerships. All this happening still under the Upwork umbrella.

What I seek can rarely be found on job lists or project posts. The question remains are you a developer Preston or are there any on here and how do I connect with them?

Scratch that last part: just found out I can check on your profile.

You say you're a database engineer.
Let me ask you one question - what is data and how can really big companies deal with exceedingly large amounts of data?

samuEL Adimabua N wrote:
I have been a developer since before Odesk + Elance became Upwork.

I'm not recruiting.
The community I believe is a place where developers and clients alike can meet and talk anything besides the usual Job hunt and proposals.

If it's for just freelancers then it is a community regardless. Freelancers with experiences from different parts of the world can come together, share ideas, build partnerships. All this happening still under the Upwork umbrella.

What I seek can rarely be found on job lists or project posts. The question remains are you a developer Preston or are there any on here and how do I connect with them?

Scratch that last part: just found out I can check on your profile.

You say you're a database engineer.
Let me ask you one question - what is data and how can really big companies deal with exceedingly large amounts of data?

To your last question: I suggest they use computers. 

Well yea Martina Smiley Happy

Even right now we're using computers.

The question is much more technical than that, directed at Preston who is a database engineer.

I'm expecting an answer from an "engineering" point of view.

Samuel N wrote:

Well yea Martina Smiley Happy

Even right now we're using computers.

The question is much more technical than that, directed at Preston who is a database engineer.

I'm expecting an answer from an "engineering" point of view.

Then write a private message to Preston, if you don't want answers from other forum members. But then you might miss out on my quirky humor - well, that's the rub.

I do want answers from the community Smiley Happy.

It's just that particular question or response was directed at Preston from the feedback I received from him on a previous thread.

Why didn't I see this sooner I wonder?

Tough question, Java VS Python.

I'll lean more to my Priestess, Pythia/ Python she is the true Oracle of Delphi

I talked about your grandma and you've been squealing like a puppy coz you didn't understand me.

Let me ease your suffering: Your grandma "is" beautiful and kind. It must have been tough for you when she passed coz you spoke of her so lovely. You also talked about finding an acorn in dense shrub like finding treasure. You associated grandma and Oak as two priceless entities.

She had that Oak tree nearby and for whatever reason you took notice of it.

When she passed, feelings of emptiness, grief and sadness must have come in. But the Oak still stands. Your grandma's spirit and the peace you used to get when she was alive you can still find it close to where the Oak stands or her yard.

You say you have nothing more to learn in life.

That's kinda sad.

Maybe you'll discover things you didn't know you didn't know.

What I meant was I am now in a position to lead. Now that I understand the intricacies and fundamentals of life. For most of my life, I listened and remained an ardent follower of every idea or thought. 

I now feel comfortable to step into my role as a leader. A responsibility my father required of me as the firstborn son, running the affairs of the family. I never wanted it and did everything in my power to run away from that responsibility.

I adhere to the tenets of Socrates and one of them is - 

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"

So Cheryl K you are right when you said - discover things you didn't know you didn't know.

Remember Game of thrones - You know nothing Jon Sno Smiley Wink

Hai 

robric
Community Member

You're doing good Samuel. From one African oak to another keep up the good work. Richard

isamybaxy
Community Member

Thank you, Richard.

Although I am not quite certain what you mean - I love the vibe Smiley Wink

robric
Community Member

An 'oke' in South African is a good solid hard working person

4f99e5d2
Community Member

Fantabulous!

@Samuel, You're doing well Sire! 

Latest Articles