🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: What is your unforgettable experience in ...
Page options
kristineg_1998
Community Member

What is your unforgettable experience in upwork?

I cannot forget my first ever client when i started my upwork journey. He is my first ever "per hour" client and up to now i get projects from him. 

I'm so grateful with this platform because I can now enjoy work/life balance! 

How about you? What's your unforgettable experience here in upwork?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hayrapetyan_susa
Community Member

When I first started working on an hourly tracker I was lost and scared every time it was doing the screenshot 😄 it took me some time to get used to it )))

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
hayrapetyan_susa
Community Member

When I first started working on an hourly tracker I was lost and scared every time it was doing the screenshot 😄 it took me some time to get used to it )))

Me too! 😂

haha, same exp. 

Same here

Lucky are you people who have made it to get some jobs here some of us are still in the waiting room for first job even after years of sending proposal. But not giving up. 

True. Giving up is not an option for people who have dreams 😇 keep on grinding! Baby steps are signicant means in moving forward towards your goal! You can make it!

Brother, just make sure that you send a proposal for the job that is posted recently. What I mean is, by recently, a job that was posted 5, 10, 20, 10, 30, or 40 seconds ago.

Yes, you saw it right, seconds ago, not hours ago or even the minutes ago, and you'd get the work.

Don't loose hope and keep on trying

I am still struggling to find my first client. I hope I am successful to find my first client.

mhashirhassan22
Community Member

I don't think everyone has "Gold" unforgettable moment. I've been here for quiet some years now still can't forget the day client filed for dispute to claim my earnings of 2 years. YES! He worked with me for 2 years and after COVID his business didn't work so complained to arbitration that I scammed him. Luckily I was able to win the case but those were some "unforgettable" days 🤒

Omg! That was scary! Good thing you won the case! Congrats!

What? What was too hardh of the cleint.

That would have been terrifying too. I can imagine what you went through.

Wow! 

Some clients are unbelievable 

Oh my gosh that is crazy..

Wow! that is scary

thejmax
Community Member

When I received a job invitation and the client asked me to do some tasks  as she mentioned that it's part of the application process. She even asked me on "how to do this and do that" and I was informed that she'll send a contract a week after that but unfortunately, I didn't receive anything because she said I didn't meet the requirements. Until I found out that this lady (the client) did the same thing to another freelancer.

I already reported this to Upwork and flagged the job invitation/post.

Lesson learned: If the client is asking for a test project that will take a day or two, as much as possible, don't start doing it until you have a clear agreement about the project or, if they can pay you for doing the test project that will be great!

c7e9348c
Community Member

This is insightful. Im looking forward to my first job here.

I am also looking for.

a3ca078a
Community Member

Getting paid was a problem for me. I don't know a client did it and paid successfully. 

a3ca078a
Community Member

As a newbie, what do you advice I do because I get no jobs.

c7e9348c
Community Member

I am looking forward to my first client, I hope I get an amazing one like yours soon

best-sharon
Community Member

When I got my first long-term contract (it was a year-retainer) and the client was simply fantastic

2ec510c9
Community Member

My first client was an amazing woman who I still see twice a week and the best experience was that After many many proposals I sent on Upwork without any responses - I had almost used all my connects and given up hope I will ever get a client: there she was.

I was so excited and happy to have an interview and then even more when I got the job.

So I can just tell you: upwork is great - bringing together people, doing all the contracting.

keep applying and you will be rewarded :heart_suit:

yaseenf
Community Member

Yes true. 1st client experience is unforgettable.

2276f04d
Community Member

I'm still trying to get my first client. I know the spanish market has less demand  (spanish is the one I prefer according to my past experience) , but it's a bit frustrating 😞 

657c7cea
Community Member

I can not forget my first project with a $5 price! I worked on it the whole day and I got those 5 reviews and now I am from 10% top translators!

105d3149
Community Member

My first job offer on upwork

95d2a4d1
Community Member

Hello Everyone! I would also like to share my unforgettable experience on Upwork which was when I got scammed by a Client just a few days before my birthday! 

It was when I did free sample work for her because she said that she would hire me if she liked my work and I was fully confident that's why I decided to do the work free but in the end, she said that she doesn't like my work and when I asked about the problem in the work. She didn't reply after that! 

After some time I notice that she was interviewing 10+ freelancers and scamming newbie freelancers like me. She just wanted free work, I reported her on Upwork! 🙂

helen_reano
Community Member

Wow! Just like you I am also grateful with how Upwork transform my career from newbie to a better and competitive freelancer.  With my first project in Upwork, it was heart-warming because he kept coming back when he have projects. He is a great help for me though it is a not so big project. He always give me wonderful feedback that gives me boost as a starter 😊

deryaidil
Community Member

This just happened last week - I applied for a job that had simpler instructions and lower pay, just because I was in need of some urgent money and didn't have that much time. The client messaged me back on the day of my application but kept responding irregularly on and off for 5 days. At this point, I was already super thrown off as he missed two meetings that we had agreed to. It was a really low-budget gig so I considered withdrawing my proposal, but I decided to stick with it and gave it one more shot. He also missed the third meeting, and had a ''network issue'' excuse, although I later found out that he was just asleep. Anyhow, after some waste of time for me, we hopped on the meeting, and the job had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the description, he was trying to add in some ''simpler tasks'' that ''aren't difficult'' or ''won't take long''. I waited until he finished with his description, which took 1 whole hour (this is totally acceptable if the job is complex and has many features, or is tech-related, but it wasn't). Then, I reminded him that he already missed our meeting 30 minutes before finally sending me a link, and kindly asked him if we could proceed with the meeting quickly (he was making me read texts that he wrote out loud, and yawning, asking me if I understood what he said repetitively every 5 minutes). He called me impatient and rude. Then, at the end of the call, when I told him how much time the task would take me and that he would have to up the budget since there were extra tasks to the job description provided, he basically told me that I'm a slow-worker, and scammer.. 

Given all this, of course, we didn't end up working together and I reported his job as inaccurate. But, I just wanted to put this out there to remind you to ALWAYS TRUST YOUR GUT. If something is not working out, going smoothly, or meeting your job ethics, don't go with it. 

b68b1c40
Community Member

When I thought about working on Upwork, I imagined it as a boring computer job. In fact, it is 😁 However, I was lucky to meet several clients with whom work turned into very interesting projects that are not just about sitting in front of a monitor. And this can not but rejoice.

7b9a9759
Community Member

Great question Kristine G. My first project in 2019 I remember vividly -- and I was so excited to get it as I explored the platform and the freelancer life.

But I think my unforgettable experience was when I had done enough projects on Upwork to validate that I could do this life full-time and meet my prosperity goals.

It shifted my mindset to really go "all in" on what I love to do!

inro
Community Member

What I especially remember during my work on upwork is how clients give bonuses for good work. Says something about their character 😉
My most generous client paid me a huge bonus in dollars and gave me a lot of coins that he launched.
And the least generous was my regular client, who, after 3 (!) years of cooperation, paid me the smallest upwork bonus. To apologize for his error. That's how different we all are! 😊

apiscostudio
Community Member

As I work with photography, in the studio and not on the computer all the time, I lost several hours of work when the first client demanded tracking time on the contract and I didn't realised that. He then didn't accept the work and we had to end the contract because of lack of trust from his part 😕

802d8cc0
Community Member

I am new here and me too hoping to wait to get the same experience as you 🙂 

1c9c6b63
Community Member

I enjoy working on Upwork freelance platform. My first client was really amazing.

2ef54d61
Community Member

When a client offered me $100 for what was going to be a 3-4 day project. I'll never forget that lmao 

On a more positive note, a few months back I landed an ongoing job editing a podcast that gets some pretty famous people on it. One recent episode had Kenan Thompson from Kenan&Kel and Saturday Night Live. I grew up watching him on TV and it was kinda surreal to be editing an interview with him for professional publication. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths