cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's going on?

Laurie G Member Since: Dec 29, 2018
21 of 29

I am started at Upwork about a month ago and immediately started getting the message that "the client will see you don't live in the U.S." I contacted CS and they resolved it quickly. 

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
22 of 29

Mary W wrote:

US based freelancers are being told that they don't live in the US.  Everyone's JSS, stats, earnings, etc. were totally screwed up.  Proposals are being archived irrationally. Attachments are disappearing from proposals.

And all of this seems to be happening at once.  Really doesn't make Upwork look very marketable.

ETA: after reading another thread, I changed my visibility to public and logged out of Upwork.  Went to search and I wasn't there.  At all.  Sigh.

Also have you seen the latest news?

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/New-Identity-Verification-Badge-available-soon-for-Top...

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
23 of 29

I have no problem with verifying my identity.  In fact, it's a move in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
24 of 29

UW denying acess to US Jobs for Freelancers based in the US is continuing.  Unless Texas is no longer in the US.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
25 of 29

Joseph C wrote:

UW denying acess to US Jobs for Freelancers based in the US is continuing.  Unless Texas is no longer in the US.

It's a bit insane how long it takes them to fix things, isn't it? That said, we all know that Texas has always promoted itself as "a whole other country".

Screen shot 2019-01-22 at 2.12.35 PM.png

Sorry Joseph, couldn't resist. Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
26 of 29

Virginia,

Y'all correct.

But I had hoped that the UW alorithms would know that I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY.  How much more US can I be?

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
27 of 29
Joseph C. wrote:

Virginia,

Y'all correct.

But I had hoped that the UW alorithms would know that I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY.  How much more US can I be?

We all know that Upwork algorithms seem to know diddly. But you're right, you can't get any more American than Brooklyn ... or Texas.

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
28 of 29

Hi Joseph,

Could you please check this thread and Vladimir's most recent post there. Please do send a PM to ValeriaVladimir or me, with a link to the job posting where you're still getting the location preference error. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
29 of 29

Mary W wrote:

I have no problem with verifying my identity.  In fact, it's a move in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

The act of verifying one's identity is not the chilling part. It's the way it's being rolled out as a "perk" to have a badge showing that you've done it, but no indication as to how they decide who gets to be first in line. Plus the inherent dishonesty in framing it this way instead of as a requirement that they've been enforcing for new applications for the past several years now applying to everyone (but, again, "slowly rolled out").

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS