🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: What the heck is gruel anyway?
Page options
florydev
Community Member

What the heck is gruel anyway?

Had to ask.  I have not really been poor...been broke a few times.  Does it taste like tasty wheat?

Originally dropped a curse word in the subject, sorry about that!

21 REPLIES 21
jmlaidlaw
Community Member

It tastes like nasty porridge. In fact, it is nasty porridge. 

Grey, cold, oatmeal-like stuff. REALLY bad Cream of Wheat.

lysis10
Community Member

80% Jackal here representing!

joansands
Community Member

Gruel is very thin sometimes cooked cereal. Not tasty.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

It's what you feel like you've been subsisting on after reading through a partiularly grueling forum thread (even it is entertaining in a morbid, can't-look-away kind of way).

a_lipsey
Community Member

I wish I hadn't tapped out so fast. I would have liked to see who ended up eating the gruel. 

The mods deleted it so I think they did. Good call though.

I was just there for the popcorn anyhow. 

Amanda L wrote:

Careful. If you have non-gruel food, I think you're admitting to being a jackal, and receiving top secret high paying jobs that Upwork hides from the regular freelancers.

Tiffany S wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

Careful. If you have non-gruel food, I think you're admitting to being a jackal, and receiving top secret high paying jobs that Upwork hides from the regular freelancers.

I have pistachios and honey dew melon too. Guess I'm part of the problem. 

Mark F wrote:

They're going to have to delete another soon.

Btw, what does it mean: my title says "Ace Contributor"? 

Amanda L wrote:

Mark F wrote:

They're going to have to delete another soon.

Btw, what does it mean: my title says "Ace Contributor"? 

It means you posted a lot. Keep that up and you will become a community leader and later a community guru. Untold riches associated with that!

What?  We are just discussing what gruel is, nothing wrong with that.

I didn't mean this one. 🙂

Amanda L wrote:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

That leads to a very serious question that I haven't seen addressed anywhere yet: What happens to our kudos when a thread gets closed by the mods? Do they stay in our records where they keep track of "Top Kudoed Members"? What if the kudos you earn on a particular thread help you rise from leader to guru, then that thread gets zapped? Do you get to keep your guru hat? What about the people who awarded the kudos? Do they get their kudos back? FLs' time is valuable, and forum participation represents enormous investments that we make with the understanding of receiving certain benefits in return. If we find it's just smoke and mirrors, what does that mean? Is this potentially fraudulent? Should we call the SEC? Would they answer? Can I trade in some kudos for a coffee mug?

For half a second I was thinking...why does she care about kudos!

I think you are right that is the thread I was thinking of.

If you lose your kudos Upwork will stop awarding  you projects.

Phyllis G wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

Did they zap the one titled "Client quality is going downhill fast"? This morning I had email notices that I received several kudos for my comments on that thread but when I try to look at it, access is denied. I go to the forum and can't find it anywhere.

That leads to a very serious question that I haven't seen addressed anywhere yet: What happens to our kudos when a thread gets closed by the mods? Do they stay in our records where they keep track of "Top Kudoed Members"? What if the kudos you earn on a particular thread help you rise from leader to guru, then that thread gets zapped? Do you get to keep your guru hat? What about the people who awarded the kudos? Do they get their kudos back? FLs' time is valuable, and forum participation represents enormous investments that we make with the understanding of receiving certain benefits in return. If we find it's just smoke and mirrors, what does that mean? Is this potentially fraudulent? Should we call the SEC? Would they answer? Can I trade in some kudos for a coffee mug?

I say, every newbie gets 20 free kudos when their profile is approved. 

versailles
Community Member

Gruel? isn't that what lolcows eat?

On Internet forums?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@ René --

Gruel is the accepted food that is offered to naughty forum posters, children, and lolcows who misbehave while Mommy and Daddy are gone, and who are then punished by being sent to bed without any proper dinner.

Has the SEC approved this answer?
lysis10
Community Member

The SEC is probably digging into evidence as we speak!

Meanwhile MOD MOMMY has entered the building. She's looking surly and ready to smash. I'm scared. Don't hit me with the spoon MOD MOMMY.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths