🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » What was the first job you got at UPWORK?
Page options
632a973d
Community Member

What was the first job you got at UPWORK?

I haven't gotten it yet I've been around for 2 weeks, when I said one job was going to be complete,my client chose another, saying that he responded very quickly

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mayalee99
Community Member

You will get plenty hang in there!

Mine was creative writing, I did a lot writing then.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Community Member

Correction: I just went through my contracts list and the contract below was actually my 3rd contract, but the 1st that I completed. My 1st contract was "Design a rear quarter glass replacement molded plastic air intake for Porsche 911 1973 - 1989" (i.e. try to remodel a rear side window from a 3D scan of mostly the gasket and add an air intake element) for a hobby car project.

Mine was a super basic convert DWG to PDF. Although it took more work than I anticipated because the people who created the DWG used the absolute worst color scheme that I've ever seen for printing - so I made some adjustments just to be readable.

I applied to the job within minutes of it posting, which is the main reason that I got it. It had been 2 weeks of full-time job hunting and bidding since my ID had been verified. Moral of the story - apply to the jobs for which you are overqualified and are inexpensive. Also, it is okay to ask for excellent reviews/feedback on those first jobs (really, on any job, although some people on this platform politely disagree).

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

632a973d
Community Member

I am trying to bid cheaper than the offers given and get the job, confirmation of my identity is very valuable to me right now, even having at least 1 sale, it is very pleasant to make an offer and to wait with hope

To place a bid cheaper is not the solution of getting the job. Need to set a standard rate of your skills and follow it. 

I agree with you.

I'm offering cheap, but it's probably among the mistakes I've made again, I almost do what you want and even send it just so that he knows I'm doing it : (I think I might be Decoy if I do it more

d0ad7ac3
Community Member

I also want to have clients so I can have my experience as a virtual assistant but even if you have the skills you know that the competition is huge, so we really need to make outstanding profiles to exceed more.

profil geliştirme konusunda ekstra yardıma ihtiaycım var 

mayalee99
Community Member

You will get plenty hang in there!

Mine was creative writing, I did a lot writing then.

I'm trying to work hard and move forward diligently, of course, I'm trying to learn a little about this place, some things confuse me.

aaa39d3e
Community Member

Still waiting for a job 

How nice to see the Turks, we will succeed one day, Rabia 🙂

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Ceren, I completed a one hour project for $50 to get started, whereas now my bill rate is $200.

That rate blows my mind for a non-agency.

Go to fixed-rate and do even better than $200 per hour once one is a pro 🙂

moudasabry
Community Member

Mine was creating a very tough template on a website called BlogSpot (Google Blogs), it was template that required to be editable and with dynamic allocation of certain ads. Also, I had to change the admin panel and the documentation of BlogSpot (blogger) is terrible that I had to stay days reading it as it was outdated (forums going back to 2011 or something) 🙂 Got my 5 stars though! 

2nd one was a Payment Gateway on Wix for a payment gateway in SouthAfrica 

e_huma-s_zill
Community Member

My first job was ebook design, Took me three months of applying and client did not like it, gave me bad review, two months later got a illustration job. After that it got better.

62df8676
Community Member

My first job and the only job on upwork till now was of 'Urdu Voice over.'

I was searching for work since a month and was too frustate that i send proposal without even given a thought and it got approved. I wasn't interested in doing that job but as it was a first hit i thought maybe canceling it would result in low ranking of my profile.

Hey Qudsia, congrats on getting your first job. A lot of us had first jobs that were undesirable. I recommend you work on improving your profile some more - fuller description, more keywords in your title, some side-by-side translation work in your portfolio.

Best of luck!

62df8676
Community Member

Thanks Jonathan. I took almost an year break after first job. Now that i am back again working on ranking my profile. I published first project 2 days ago and planning to set more relevant projects as job hunting and writing proposal really sucks.

ogetanaka
Community Member

It was a creative illustration with no brief two years ago, I have delivered it, but the client forgot to close the job even though I had mentioned to him. So the job looks still in progress and I do not wanna remove it. It is like the representation of a tradition where you hang your first earning on the wall in a frame. still there...

Latest Articles
Learning Paths