🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Whats the main dish in your country?
Page options
melissaferron49
Community Member

Whats the main dish in your country?

25 REPLIES 25
c1c9191c
Community Member

Dumplings ❤️

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

My country is so large (US), there really isn't a national dish.  The one exception is Thanksgiving, which is coming up in a couple weeks.  Then, the entire country eats roast turkey.  (Actually, that isn't even true because in the South where I live, fried turkey is quite popular.  You fry the whole turkey outside in a huge gas or propane fryer.  Kinda scary and you really have to know what you're doing or you'll burn down your house.  LOL.)  The side dishes vary by area - where I live, oyster dressing is popular, as are yams.  Other places it could be stuffing and mashed potatoes.  Basically, the meal is sort of a recreation of the first Thanksgiving when the native Americans shared their bounty with the poor Pilgrims who were semi-starving.

Mary,  I am sure the US may have had some great food and cuisine in the past,  but the Fastfood culture (Mcdonald's and Burger Kings) did not wanted to promote this,  so they made it easy for you to get something to eat quick (which is not healthy).  The longer it takes to prepare,  the better it tastes.

Sounds fun😁😁

hemanth997
Community Member

Bhiryani ...pure indian style😍

spxpert
Community Member

I am from India, and we are so rich in culture and tasty food,  food, and languages change every 40km.  Practically you can eat a new dish everyday and it will be years before you have to repeat something again 🙂

akhter_faharia
Community Member

There are many dishes. But rice and fish are the main dishes.

Otherwise,  I love 'Kacchi Biriyani'  on special occasions. 

melissaferron49
Community Member

Indian food looks good

b60cd4b8
Community Member

My country is Brazil. Very rich in cuisine but one of the best is feijoada, delicious!

73ea289b
Community Member

Surti Locho & Khaman

mandypeacock
Community Member

Ooo... heck... Canada is such an ecclectic country culture-wise, it'd be hard to pinpoint 1!! Poutine is seen as very Canadian, I guess... and like the US, a LOT of us have turkey at Thanksgiving (in October) and Christmas. East Coast is supposed to be known for its lobster, West Coast for its salmon... oh and then there is the Maple Syrup and something called Beaver Tails (which is a pastry thing made to look like a beaver's tail... no actual beavers are used in the making of beaver tails!).

Now... I did grow up in the UK, and that has a few... probably the most popular would be Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding... Cornish Pasties... Toad in the Hole... although they did a survey once, when I was a kid, and the UK's favourite dish came out to be Chicken Tikka Masala!! 

bilal1983
Community Member

Pakistan has a lot of cultures and different cuisine depending on where you are in the country, and much like its neighbour India, and other big countries, it is difficult to pick one as the main dish.

However, there's one which can be found in many local and international Pakistani restaurants, and that is Kadhai Chicken or Kadhai Gosht (gosht means meat, which could be lamb, or mutton or beef)

Kadhai is basically a Wok, and the chicken or mutton is cooked on high heat, with oil, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and lots of spices and garnished with green chillis, ginger and cillantro, and eaten with Naan bread. Since it requires to be cooked on high heat, the dish tastes better when eaten at restaurants because they have the big commercial stoves with huge flames.

I can vouch for Pakistani / Punjabi cuisine.  The tastiest food variety as you go north in India :india:. Especially Non-vegetarian 

Yes, I find North Indian and some other Indian food to be very tasty as well. I lived in the Middle East for most of my life, so I have eaten Indian food a lot. There are many similarities of course, because both countries share heritage. But there are slight variance in ingredients and cooking too.

I believe it's roti/bread and any kind of salan/gravy

vdongalen
Community Member

Rice and Adobo!

Best served when rice is freshly cooked and still steaming!

Could either be pork adobo, or chicken adobo, or, as my dad used to make, chicken-pork adobo.

Oh, and if you've seen the video where the chef adds habaneros, we don't have that here. If we want it to be hot, we add chili peppers.

Left-over adobo could be used as extenders for 

595e5ad8
Community Member

Couscous! 🙂 

dekuji
Community Member

rice, friedrice, fried chicken, fried vegetables, fried banana, fresh veggies and chili paste (more than 100 types) - can you guess my country without looking at my profile? xD

luqman_mak
Community Member

There are many things eaten but most common are rice and Ugali - Ugali is a corn based (some variations include cassava flour) porridge that is cooked till it sort of solidifies, it is then eaten while still hot (or warm) with a main side of - fish, chicken  or meat - and, green veggies or redbeans. 
Rice is cooked as either plain white or with coconut milk and goes with the same sides.

One of my favoutites but no longer common meals is 'Ugali na mchuzi wa papa'..well... mchuzi means gravy and papa is salt cured shark - usually cut into small pieces and cooked with coconut milk. It has a strong scent and flavour - its one of those things that you cant like if you are repulsed by its smell

nadira2018
Community Member

Steamed rice and fish

557f18f8
Community Member

Hey Melissa, In our country Kenya it depends with the ethnic tribe that you come from. For example, I am a Kikuyu and our main dish is called Githeri which is a mixture of maize and beans. It may sound as a simple dish but the trick is what you'll use to make the Githeri stew be delicious.

allpurposewriter
Community Member

Pretty sure, I'm in the wrong country. The main dish here is TV dinners.

632a973d
Community Member

Kebab

moudasabry
Community Member

Koshary 🤣, also green vines are really beautiful here!

d75e1398
Community Member

Our main dish a pot

Latest Articles
Learning Paths