Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you take your break?

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
21 of 32

@Luce N wrote:

Gardening is an excellent way to forget about real life.

Professional gardeners would disagree.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
22 of 32

What do you mean, René? Today, I spent hours preparing a new strawberry patch - forgot anything that did not have to do with my home made compost and strawberry runners. 

OK, nature is life, but it's not all there is to life, at least not to mine!

Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
23 of 32

@Rene K wrote:

@Luce N wrote:

Gardening is an excellent way to forget about real life.

Professional gardeners would disagree.

D'accord, René! My husband really enjoys gardening. I, on the other hand, grew up on a real-live farm in the American Midwest. To me, gardening is just hard work.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
24 of 32

My indoor plants sometimes live - for a time.

Outdoors (weeds aside, which grow of their own prolific accord, even in winter), I only have to bung in a discarded stem or bulb of some sort for it to grow - even shop-bought basil survives. 

I have too many (large) hydrangeas - 3 million daffodils, that have become invasive - ditto Japanese anemone, valerian etc. I have a grapevine that is out of control in summer (nice grapes) but that gets ruthlessly pruned without science in January - an out-of-control hazelnut tree (bush?) that started as a little twig, produces an amazing number of nuts and now I don't know how to cut it down to human size and keep it productive. Apple trees that need attention - apples get eaten by giant Asian hornets, so I  don't dare to pick them for fear of retaliation.

Anyway, my garden - I love it in theory and sometimes in practice - but now I am panicking, as I still haven't prepared it for winter. (And I wish I could find that d*****d hornet's nest.)

Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
25 of 32

RE:

---

(And I wish I could find that d*****d hornet's nest.)

----

Nichola, in theory stiring up the hornet's nest might lead to positive outcomes, in practice hornets do not take it lightly or kindly when stirred up.

And if do you find the nest, I would like to know if the outcome resulted in a fight or flight. :-)

Happy gardening!

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
26 of 32

Hornets do not like their nests being kicked (deliberately or not). They also know if one of their  members have been dispatched and they will take  retaliatory action.

I sometime fight. But I leave my apples alone. I do not pick them.

I once got stung by an Asiatic hornet - got woowaahed off to casualty and spent a very, very uncomfortable night while they pumped things into me to bring the swelling in my throat and my arm (the site of the sting) down.

I still want to find that d*****d nest . . .

Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
27 of 32

RE:

------------

I still want to find that d*****d nest . . .

------------

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

If I ever got stung by an Asiatic hornet, like you I would never pick apples, as a matter of fact, I would be happy to know the hornets are more interested in the apples than me.

But I would never go nest hunting - and if I did find the nest by accident, I would go in the opposite direction - for me to withdraw is to conquer and to avoid a trip to the ICU.

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
28 of 32

Wish I had a beach near me. But I'm enjoying the lovely autumn weather before the November rains set in and my

paddock turns into a quagmire (well, almost).

DSC00306b.jpg

Community Leader
Bruce D Member Since: Oct 1, 2015
29 of 32

Columbia River Gorge.  The Eagle Creek Fire roared through this area last month.  Haven't been back since.

Gorge_New_Year_2016_20160101_140513.jpg

Community Leader
Allen W Member Since: Oct 7, 2017
30 of 32

Wow, that is such a beautiful backdrop. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS