🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Which website(s) provide(s) the most corr...
Page options
purplepony
Community Member

Which website(s) provide(s) the most correct pronunciation of foreign (to the U.S.) names?

It's very important to me to pronounce individual's names correctly, and I usually do at least a pretty good job of that.  Particularly upon those occasions that I'm most unsure it'd be of great assistance to be able to rely on a website for assistance.  I've tried a few of them and find it interesting how much pronunciations of the same name can vary from one site to another. 

I'd sincerely appreciate receiving recommendations from anyone that's had experience with this.  Thank you so very much!   

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Will L wrote:

Why not just ask them? I've never found anyone who was offended to be asked how their name is pronounced. I'm sure I was never the first stranger to ask them.

As long as you do not ask me. English name that has been Germanized but is originally French... I react to anything that sounds somehow familiar.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Why not just ask them? I've never found anyone who was offended to be asked how their name is pronounced. I'm sure I was never the first stranger to ask them.

Agree with Will and I did this all of the time in the corporate world. It is indeed very import to get someone's name correct no matter what their position. I always cringed when someone would shorten the name or "americanize" it because no one took the time. Unless they insisted, I would refuse to give into that and do what I could to get their name as correct as I could with an American accent. I think this is just a basic level of respect that should be shown. So indeed, best to ask. Particularly as names can be pronounced differently and you want to hear how they say it. 

Scott B wrote:

Agree with Will and I did this all of the time in the corporate world. It is indeed very import to get someone's name correct no matter what their position. I always cringed when someone would shorten the name or "americanize" it because no one took the time. Unless they insisted, I would refuse to give into that and do what I could to get their name as correct as I could with an American accent. I think this is just a basic level of respect that should be shown. So indeed, best to ask. Particularly as names can be pronounced differently and you want to hear how they say it. 

Scott, I'm quite familiar with the corporate world.  I totally understand/agree regarding the shortening; in fact, it's one of my pet peeves.  IMO it's still best to initially do the very best one can with the pronunciation.  Of course it can be further refined upon conversation with the individuals.

Will L wrote:

As long as you do not ask me. English name that has been Germanized but is originally French... I react to anything that sounds somehow familiar.

Jennifer, although I would have kudoed your post I didn't designate it as a solution.  Ahhh, and I thought/hoped everything regarding me appearing to designate kudos and solutions I have not had been resolved.  Smiley Frustrated  Lena, here I come!

I understand what you're sharing but bet it's a beautiful name!   Now you have me really curious and anxious to attempt it.  Of course you shouldn't share your last name in public; but if you feel comfortable with sharing with me in a PM, please do so.

Pat M wrote:

Jennifer, although I would have kudoed your post I didn't designate it as a solution.  Ahhh, and I thought/hoped everything regarding me appearing to designate kudos and solutions I have not had been resolved.  Smiley Frustrated  Lena, here I come!

I understand what you're sharing but bet it's a beautiful name!   Now you have me really curious and anxious to attempt it.  Of course you shouldn't share your last name in public; but if you feel comfortable with sharing with me in a PM, please do so.

I just typed my name in here.

Jennifer R wrote:

Thanks for the link, Jennifer. I was very surprised that the site got the pronunciation of my surname "right", i.e. the way my family pronounces it.

Personally, I don't expect people to get it right, and it doesn't bother me at all if they don't. I don't even correct people unless they ask me to.

Richard W wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Thanks for the link, Jennifer. I was very surprised that the site got the pronunciation of my surname "right", i.e. the way my family pronounces it.

Personally, I don't expect people to get it right, and it doesn't bother me at all if they don't. I don't even correct people unless they ask me to.

Richard, now I'm really curious about YOUR name too; especially based on your statement.  Evidently the majority must mispronounce it.  How do you feel on that rare occasion when it's pronounced the "right" way? 

Jennifer, interesting link!  I enjoyed entering in different names and the results.  It was particularly interesting noticing the countries that the presenters of the pronunciations were from.  Thanks!  Also enjoyed our PM's!   

Will L wrote:

Will, of course I've done that numerous times throughout the years; and most aren't offended.  However, it's been my personal experience that most people are appreciative and seem to respect the effort put forth in initially pronouncing their names correctly.  In fact, many over the years have even complimented me on that. 

I'm confident you're aware that oftentimes there's nothing sweeter to someone than the sound of their own name.  However, it needs to be pronounced correctly.

My whole life I have been called different things. 

As my father was Norwegian and my mother Japanese they wanted an international name, so they chose Eve. But, that name doesn't work in either Norwegian or Japanese. So my mother calls me Ibu, as that is what Eve sounds like to a Japanese person, and Norwegians would just call me Eva. I have also been called Evy, Ive, Ev, Evelyn and more or less anything remotely close to Eve. My mother as a Japanese can't prononce my last name either. She doesn't hear the difference between R and L, and V, H and B. So She calls me something like Ibu Runevorgue. Smiley LOL

I gave up on the idea of hearing my name pronounced correctly years ago, I decided to go with "Paul" every time I order something to take away (this almost cost me 2 lunches, but it's still better than having to spell my name 3-5 times without).

Valerio S wrote:

I gave up on the idea of hearing my name pronounced correctly years ago, I decided to go with "Paul" every time I order something to take away (this almost cost me 2 lunches, but it's still better than having to spell my name 3-5 times without).

When we had our first kid we spent ages comming up with a name. "Paul" was one of the first that was rules out. We could think of 3 different ways it would be pronounced in the international environment we are living here in Norway. Then there is my husbands side of the family with the tendency to mutilate names using diminutive endings.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths