Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Which website(s) provide(s) the most correct pronunciation of foreign (to the U.S.) names?

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
1 of 14

It's very important to me to pronounce individual's names correctly, and I usually do at least a pretty good job of that.  Particularly upon those occasions that I'm most unsure it'd be of great assistance to be able to rely on a website for assistance.  I've tried a few of them and find it interesting how much pronunciations of the same name can vary from one site to another. 

 

I'd sincerely appreciate receiving recommendations from anyone that's had experience with this.  Thank you so very much!   

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
2 of 14

Why not just ask them? I've never found anyone who was offended to be asked how their name is pronounced. I'm sure I was never the first stranger to ask them.

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
3 of 14

Agree with Will and I did this all of the time in the corporate world. It is indeed very import to get someone's name correct no matter what their position. I always cringed when someone would shorten the name or "americanize" it because no one took the time. Unless they insisted, I would refuse to give into that and do what I could to get their name as correct as I could with an American accent. I think this is just a basic level of respect that should be shown. So indeed, best to ask. Particularly as names can be pronounced differently and you want to hear how they say it. 

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
4 of 14

Scott B wrote:

Agree with Will and I did this all of the time in the corporate world. It is indeed very import to get someone's name correct no matter what their position. I always cringed when someone would shorten the name or "americanize" it because no one took the time. Unless they insisted, I would refuse to give into that and do what I could to get their name as correct as I could with an American accent. I think this is just a basic level of respect that should be shown. So indeed, best to ask. Particularly as names can be pronounced differently and you want to hear how they say it. 

_________________________________________________________________________

Scott, I'm quite familiar with the corporate world.  I totally understand/agree regarding the shortening; in fact, it's one of my pet peeves.  IMO it's still best to initially do the very best one can with the pronunciation.  Of course it can be further refined upon conversation with the individuals.


 

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
BEST ANSWER
5 of 14

Will L wrote:

Why not just ask them? I've never found anyone who was offended to be asked how their name is pronounced. I'm sure I was never the first stranger to ask them.


As long as you do not ask me. English name that has been Germanized but is originally French... I react to anything that sounds somehow familiar.

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
6 of 14

Jennifer, although I would have kudoed your post I didn't designate it as a solution.  Ahhh, and I thought/hoped everything regarding me appearing to designate kudos and solutions I have not had been resolved.  Smiley Frustrated  Lena, here I come!

 

I understand what you're sharing but bet it's a beautiful name!   Now you have me really curious and anxious to attempt it.  Of course you shouldn't share your last name in public; but if you feel comfortable with sharing with me in a PM, please do so.

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
7 of 14

Pat M wrote:

Jennifer, although I would have kudoed your post I didn't designate it as a solution.  Ahhh, and I thought/hoped everything regarding me appearing to designate kudos and solutions I have not had been resolved.  Smiley Frustrated  Lena, here I come!

 

I understand what you're sharing but bet it's a beautiful name!   Now you have me really curious and anxious to attempt it.  Of course you shouldn't share your last name in public; but if you feel comfortable with sharing with me in a PM, please do so.


 

I just typed my name in here.

 

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
8 of 14

Jennifer R wrote:

 

I just typed my name in here.

Thanks for the link, Jennifer. I was very surprised that the site got the pronunciation of my surname "right", i.e. the way my family pronounces it.

 

Personally, I don't expect people to get it right, and it doesn't bother me at all if they don't. I don't even correct people unless they ask me to.

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
9 of 14

Richard W wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

 

I just typed my name in here.

Thanks for the link, Jennifer. I was very surprised that the site got the pronunciation of my surname "right", i.e. the way my family pronounces it.

 

Personally, I don't expect people to get it right, and it doesn't bother me at all if they don't. I don't even correct people unless they ask me to.

__________________________________________________________________________

Richard, now I'm really curious about YOUR name too; especially based on your statement.  Evidently the majority must mispronounce it.  How do you feel on that rare occasion when it's pronounced the "right" way? 

 


 

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
10 of 14

Jennifer, interesting link!  I enjoyed entering in different names and the results.  It was particularly interesting noticing the countries that the presenters of the pronunciations were from.  Thanks!  Also enjoyed our PM's!   

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS