🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Who inspired you to pursue what you do today?
Page options
alamiinsi
Community Member

Who inspired you to pursue what you do today?

I fell in love with the written word thanks to Malcolm Gladwell. Thinking about odd concepts in a different light led me to wonder if I have what it takes to influence others as well. Shani Raja challenged me to rethink delivery and storytelling. I am just curious about who, in a similar way, helped drive you to be what you are.

14 REPLIES 14
pgiambalvo
Community Member

My landlord expecting me to pay my rent.

When asked what inspired mobility or transportation 2,000 years ago (in the comedy album "2,000-year-old man") Mel Brooks said: "Fear." In my case, I was afraid my parents would ask me "What are you going to do with your life?" I had to come up with something. Consequently, I guessed. I then called myself a writer for 20 years before I finally had to admit that I had still never written a thing. Afraid someone (besides myself) might figure that out, I started wrting freelance stories for a local newspaper. It was happy to do it, but doing nothing is easier.

Very inspirational, indeed! 

moonraker
Community Member

Money.

I need money. Otherwise I'd be chilling on a beach.

nhansen
Community Member

My career took a new path when I worked for someone who wouldn't hire me for a better paying job as a secretary (hahaha-do they even exist anymore?) in the department I worked in at the time because she didn't think I would be a good fit for it. I was very irritated by it and sat up all night trying to think of a way I could control my own destiny and came up with an idea that put me on the track to the career I have today. So you could say she inspired me.

Well, I'm glad it all worked out for the best, Nicole. 😁

I think they are called assistants now.

hglewis
Community Member

Hello Al'ameen,

The first business I started, I missed the deadline to place my ad in the yellow page phone book by a week. So I created a flyer and went door to door promoting my services to retail stores to generate business. 

Right away, I started getting calls. Then I expanded my marketing by writing sales letters and mailing them to local businesses. And there, too, the calls came in. 

A year after I began that venture, I discovered a book by Dan Kennedy about copywriting. After reading through it, I discovered that my writing process had a name, "Direct Response." 

Before that discovery, I had never heard the terms copywriting or direct response. 30 years later, I have not stopped reading, studying, and implementing what I've learned. 

As for who inspired me, Herschell Gordon Lewis and Clayton Makepeace. Both were friends and mentors. Sadly, both are gone, but I have their books, notes, and personal letters as reminders.

Thanks for asking!

alamiinsi
Community Member

That's an interesting story, Woodrow. Thank you for taking the time to share!

ladyofthepen
Community Member

Inspiration? No. 

I ended up working from home in an odd fashion. I mean, I wanted to be a writer (but I was terrified to start on oDesk - yeah, I am *that* old here...) Almost nine years ago, I was a college professor teaching Paralegal Studies. I live in a state where it is LEGAL to lose your job if you're a survivor of domestic violence. I had a permanent VPO (restraining order) against an ex for domestic violence. He kept calling the college I taught at to get me fired. I kept taking my evidence, my VPO, and a literal six inch stack of documents to the Director of Education AND to the Legal Department to FIGHT for my job. I had three children who were 14, 12, and 2 at the time. I *needed* my job. 

I realized I had to make the work from home thing work for me (which I eventually turned into my podcast slogan: making work from home work for you). Working from home became job security as I grew my business. 

Last year, I hired his other ex-wife (the person he married after we divorced) as my graphic designer. She left him within I think two years of marrying him. She's also remarried. And he's still stalking me and suing me randomly because my state doesn't have a law against vexatious litigation. He's remarried again. Last I heard from my now adult children (I did NOT ask), those two are miserable. And I worry about her safety despite the way she behaves, too (but no one deserves to be abused). 

So, inspired? NO. But the last time I saw my favorite Aunt (she's now in her 70s), I showed her the front material of a textbook where my name is printed and she was in awe and asked, "Did you EVER think you'd be SO capable?" She knows my childhood. She knows everything that happened. She was so proud and that was certainly enough. 

We must all work. So I do what I'm good at doing, what brings in good money, and what I know how to grow. Right now, inspiration isn't anything I concern myself with.  

Robin, well done in constructing a livelihood in such difficult circumstances!  Best wishes.

abiha_mateen
Community Member

I've always felt this thing towards writing. When I was younger, I struggled to learnt English and some of my previously written stories are so funny in the way that they make no sense lol. And also I have expensive dreams and those require money though if i wasn't here writing for money, I'll just be writing on my journals and laptop. SOOOOOOOOOO yeah.

96d2c9d1
Community Member

interest?iwanna be rich enough to improve my life

rizichat
Community Member

I am an educator and my father inspired me to be an educator. He spent 40 years in Punjab Education Department. I am blessed to be his son.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths