🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Why clients are leaving upwork nowadays?
Page options
imranshojib
Community Member

Why clients are leaving upwork nowadays?

As I can noticed from last one month, so many clients are leaving upwork. Can anyone tell me the reason with details please? Or I am wrong?

15 REPLIES 15
webinos
Community Member

I think Upwork does not have real clients in LA. I am not getting any attention 😞 . Is Upwork a place for cheap and low quality projects?

florydev
Community Member

Mikayel A wrote:

I think Upwork does not have real clients in LA. I am not getting any attention 😞 . Is Upwork a place for cheap and low quality projects?

I almost had a real client in LA (not sure if you really meant Los Angeles but I am feeling very literal ).  I talked to them on the phone and everything.  They ended up canceling the project because their funding fell through.

In my experience it is not a JUST a place for cheap and low quality projects.  It might be that the majority of clients are cheap and unwilling to pay good value for what they want but it certainly can't be all of them.  

I think you might want to consider if the problem is Upwork or if it is, in fact, you that is the problem.

dataextract
Community Member

May I know from where you've noticed this?

No activity. Looks like this is west of my time.

sivavranagaro
Community Member

Your profile is not public. Maybe that's the reason.

Vesna M wrote:

Your profile is not public. Maybe that's the reason.

Shouldn't be if he is proposing on projects, client's can see it.  It might also be set to Only Upwork Users.

I've worked with multiple clients based in LA and Orange County. 

For those who aren't familiar with LA, from a biz perpective it always makes sense to include Orange County.

Thanks Wendy, I will give a try another month then I will deactivate my account. I am getting projects from other places. I still think something wrong, most probable my price is high for Upwork.

When you apply for a job you can get under that "see more" button and I suppose many times people just don't click on it but instead the first recommended. I assume your profile is completely private and in that case you can't get discovered through search option which in my case is way more useful than relying on applying.

As a matter of fact I don't even remember when it was the last time I got an offer from a job I applied to. But I did on invitations.

Private profile in not a problem.

Mikayel, I don't know what you do or how much you charge ... but I bill at $135 p/h and get it. Low by LA standards but quite high by Upwork's. 

Are you a photographer?  That is the only reason why I can imagine you want LA based clients only ...

The majority of freelancers I know bill at $100 p/h and more ... and they are in demand and busy.  Price should not be a deterrent for quality clients.  Part of the battle is learning to cull out the quality clients from the dross.  The other part of the battle is learning to write a proposal that resonates with the buyer.

Thanks Wendy. I am a full stack web developer/architect and I only charge $125 p/h (after 20% UpWork cut it will be $100 p/h only ). The reason I only propose to LA clients is because I think it's an advantage when the client can meet in person and I don't want to compete with workforce from India and Ukriane.  So far I have made 3 proposals and no activity from client side. I am doubting whether to add money to the account for proposals or is it just a scam.

If you're limiting yourself to only working for clients who want to meet in person, and you're already discouraged after sending only three proposals, then Upwork probably isn't the right option for you. But just because something isn't working for you, that's no proof of it being a scam.

Mikayel, you might want to consider expanding your client search as others have noted.  Working virtually allows client and FLer to 'meet' via U's messaging system, Skype, Zoom, etc.  

From my POV and experience, insisting ("offering" to be polite) on such meetings to discuss job requirements and client needs solves a bunch of problems. 

- Both parties gain a better understanding of what is needed > this controls scope creep which is an added plus.

- Both parties schuss out the other from a personality fit. Can you really work together?

- Does the potential client have decent communication skills > are they willing to openly share?  None of us are mind readers and if a buyer is not willing to be open and honest; the project is da*ned from the start.

Don't worry about who else bids on the job.  If you choose RFPs wisely it really won't matter.

shefen
Community Member

Mikayel A wrote:

Thanks Wendy. I am a full stack web developer/architect and I only charge $125 p/h (after 20% UpWork cut it will be $100 p/h only ). The reason I only propose to LA clients is because I think it's an advantage when the client can meet in person and I don't want to compete with workforce from India and Ukriane.  So far I have made 3 proposals and no activity from client side. I am doubting whether to add money to the account for proposals or is it just a scam.

Mikayel,

You're competing with the rest of the US too. I'm in Texas, my rate (on Upwork) is currently $50/hr. When I submit propoals to clients in California and NYC I know I'm competitive on price. I'm also competitive in Dallas, Houston and Austin. If you ONLY want local clients then it will be very slow going for you on Upwork. You will need to market yourself locally. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths