cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why clients are leaving upwork nowadays?

Mikayel A Member Since: Sep 6, 2019
11 of 16

Private profile in not a problem.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
12 of 16

Mikayel, I don't know what you do or how much you charge ... but I bill at $135 p/h and get it. Low by LA standards but quite high by Upwork's. 

Are you a photographer?  That is the only reason why I can imagine you want LA based clients only ...

The majority of freelancers I know bill at $100 p/h and more ... and they are in demand and busy.  Price should not be a deterrent for quality clients.  Part of the battle is learning to cull out the quality clients from the dross.  The other part of the battle is learning to write a proposal that resonates with the buyer.

Mikayel A Member Since: Sep 6, 2019
13 of 16

Thanks Wendy. I am a full stack web developer/architect and I only charge $125 p/h (after 20% UpWork cut it will be $100 p/h only ). The reason I only propose to LA clients is because I think it's an advantage when the client can meet in person and I don't want to compete with workforce from India and Ukriane.  So far I have made 3 proposals and no activity from client side. I am doubting whether to add money to the account for proposals or is it just a scam.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
14 of 16
If you're limiting yourself to only working for clients who want to meet in person, and you're already discouraged after sending only three proposals, then Upwork probably isn't the right option for you. But just because something isn't working for you, that's no proof of it being a scam.
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
15 of 16

Mikayel, you might want to consider expanding your client search as others have noted.  Working virtually allows client and FLer to 'meet' via U's messaging system, Skype, Zoom, etc.  

From my POV and experience, insisting ("offering" to be polite) on such meetings to discuss job requirements and client needs solves a bunch of problems. 

- Both parties gain a better understanding of what is needed > this controls scope creep which is an added plus.

- Both parties schuss out the other from a personality fit. Can you really work together?

- Does the potential client have decent communication skills > are they willing to openly share?  None of us are mind readers and if a buyer is not willing to be open and honest; the project is da*ned from the start.

Don't worry about who else bids on the job.  If you choose RFPs wisely it really won't matter.

Ace Contributor
Sheila F Member Since: Apr 6, 2017
16 of 16

Mikayel A wrote:

Thanks Wendy. I am a full stack web developer/architect and I only charge $125 p/h (after 20% UpWork cut it will be $100 p/h only ). The reason I only propose to LA clients is because I think it's an advantage when the client can meet in person and I don't want to compete with workforce from India and Ukriane.  So far I have made 3 proposals and no activity from client side. I am doubting whether to add money to the account for proposals or is it just a scam.

Mikayel,

You're competing with the rest of the US too. I'm in Texas, my rate (on Upwork) is currently $50/hr. When I submit propoals to clients in California and NYC I know I'm competitive on price. I'm also competitive in Dallas, Houston and Austin. If you ONLY want local clients then it will be very slow going for you on Upwork. You will need to market yourself locally. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS