🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Why the most businesses do not use Upwork for...
Page options
naumanahmad12345
Community Member

Why the most businesses do not use Upwork for their SEO ambitions anymore?

I regularly work with my clients to assist them in determining their local market worth on basis of organic search stats, and what I have learnt so far that even minor local healthcare or residential maintenance facilities operate in markets that are worth millions of dollars (if not billions) on an annual basis. However, I have rarely seen that a business from a large city like New York, Boston, Houston, etc. would come to Upwork to hire for its organic search optimization needs. In fact, the most jobs to appear on Upwork are paying too little to compete in such large markets. May be someone knows why such businesses do not hire directly, and rather prefer to go to some local agencies or individuals to SEO themselves.

7 REPLIES 7
bobafett999
Community Member

There may be serveral reasons for that.  The market for e-bussiness related services is saturated. If the business makes good revenues, they must have some sort of web presence done by local people.  And are happy with them.  They have a long term relationships with them.  Second many businesses do not like the hassel of dealing with unknown person from far far away places - trust and confidentiality issues.  They are competent in their fields, but know almost nothing about e-presence.  They would rather spend their energies in expanding their business through word of mouth, referrals and other traditional means.  They may have never heard of Upwork.  Even those who might have heard might have heard negative stories about freelancers.  And as you said people who come to Upwork pay very little.

@Prashant P wrote:

And as you said people who come to Upwork pay very little.

Speak for you. You should see what I'm billing right now 🙂

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

@Prashant P wrote:

And as you said people who come to Upwork pay very little.

Speak for you. You should see what I'm billing right now 🙂

Rene:  You need to brush up on your English.  There is a difference between Pay and Billing.  In addition, I was echoing his sentiment.

And if you are getting work at your rate good for you.

It would be right to say that Upwork’s marketing department is not doing its job, as they have failed to bring in such businesses who want to search market themselves. While cost of SEO has increased due to more businesses pouring in money to capture more market, Upwork has not become even their second choice to find workforce.

You Do know there are thousands of freelancers out there who do not use Upwowrk, don't you? Many have their own websites and cold-call and pitch to clients, while many others worked for these people before and, after leaving the business for whatever reason, carry on working for them as freelancers. I know a few such people in my own hometown.

Me? Meh. I am too lazy to go that rout. Upwork, for me, is easier. I HATE having to send invoices etc etc etc. Upwork takes care of all that paperwork. 

I suppose it is a matter of personal preference.

May be because you are a writer, you think so. My question relates to organic SEO. 

Main problem is that good clients are no more coming to Upwork in large numbers. I have always spent a good part of my time and earnings on shining my skills, learning new techniques and completing research/studies to build an image of Upwork as a source for quality work. If quality clients do not come and just low-standard greedy nature clients everywhere, then I would still have a knowlege to keep cleints happy, but I will go elsewhere. What will Upwork get as a result of it? Would not it lose a good freelancer?

Yasir A wrote: If quality clients do not come and

If quality clients do not come and just low-standard greedy nature clients everywhere,

That may be true that bulk of the buyers are what you describe.  However, don't you think part of the problem is that they can get people to work at absurdly low rates?  I am fully aware that those low priced freelancers are trying to earn to supplement their income.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths