renata101
Community Member

Why you won't make $100K in your first week

Something for your next break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swH8oCen2kw

12 REPLIES 12
a_lipsey
Community Member

I should make some fake accounts so I can give you extra kudos, lol. 

This guy gets it totally spot on. And I feel exactly the same about "gurus" in my field: people who are still what I would consider entry level deciding to launch "coaching programs" and teach others, calling themselves gurus when they have had really limited initial success. And then there is the whole cottage industry around the people creating the videos too! 

Amanda L wrote:

I should make some fake accounts so I can give you extra kudos, lol. 

This guy gets it totally spot on. And I feel exactly the same about "gurus" in my field: people who are still what I would consider entry level deciding to launch "coaching programs" and teach others, calling themselves gurus when they have had really limited initial success. And then there is the whole cottage industry around the people creating the videos too! 

Aw. That's so sweet. 😂

I thought it was really well done. And timely. 

moonraker
Community Member

He won me over in the first 10 seconds.

alamiinsi
Community Member

These cringe-worthy content usually make me roll my eyes so hard I could see my backhead. Thanks for the laugh, Renata.

nhansen
Community Member

I did a contract many years ago here on Upwork editing a book designed to teach freelancers how they could raise their rates to astronomical levels. He certainly didn't pay me anywhere near the amounts he said people could make.

The irony haha

hglewis
Community Member

Hello Renata,

I love his first line

"Social media and youtube is the only place where I believe that non-experts  give you their expert opinion on how to become an expert at something that they're actually not an expert"

Reminds me of the old saying

"One way to outthink people, is to make them think, you'll think, they'll think, you're not thinking, what you think you think, I think, think so?"

Having been in business these past 30 years, Dorian is dead on. 
a_lipsey
Community Member

Woodrow, it reminds me of the saying "those who can't do, teach" (not knocking on teachers, to be clear). 

@Amanda

I was thinking the same thing, but that's an insult to all the wonderful teachers out there. 

Maybe we should say "those who can't do make YouTube videos as "coaches"." 

Amanda L wrote:

"those who can't do, teach" 

I do this sometimes, except that the reason I "can't do" has to do with my laziness rather than the knowledge. Not sure how should I feel about it? 🤔

58feaef8
Community Member

Thank you so much for sharing this, dear Renata. Sending you a digital hug. 🤗

Latest Articles
Learning Paths