cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will an influx of freelancers reduce our net competitive position?

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
1 of 8

Probability is, we will see an influx of freelancers, with either the change-the-mode-of-work or I-have-to-make-money-any-way-I-can.

The general strategy may be for new-to-platform freelancers come in at low-ball rates so as to provide competitive pricing advantage.  At the same time, they will have the usual stresses and complexities of positioning their portfolios and profiles.  Learning the tactics for proposing.  Figuring out delivery strategies.  It is not so very effective to just throw up a profile written in 5 minutes and load in a few portfolio pieces, net-net.

It would be interesting if Upwork provided a little dashboard we could dial into under Stats some day, that shows the number of freelancers, net, in the system and the number of job listings for a two week period. That implies a not-so-massive change to the Stats page and would be fascinating to track.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
2 of 8

For a few, that might represent an opportunity to create an agency and bring in other freelancers.The current UW member will want to take time to educate the newbie on how freelancing works, on how Upwork functions, and on how to make money at this. The freelancer might charge for this, or use it to explain why the agency owner is taking 40% of the new freelancer's net revenue up to $500.

Be warned, I'm probably not the only really ancient individual and freelancer who has posted on various fora that freelancing is an opportunity to restore lost some lost income, and offered to answer questions about it gratis. I'm surprised that UW hasn't been flooded with jobs from those who need work done but can't bring workers to their sites; UW should also be flooded with new freelancers.

Highlighted
Dana S Member Since: Feb 6, 2019
3 of 8

UW is beeing flooded with new freelancers, i am seeing 50+ proposals in the first 5 min.
And wave 2 - advertiseing their skills as job posting, can`t imagine how you can get thet wrong but hei Smiley Happy

Also lots clients that are offering lowest rates ever, and maybe not only because corona, but because people especially new will be accepting them. The overoll profit might just drop for all.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
4 of 8

Clients tend to hire on quality, and what they can afford to pay. 

Of all those clients out there now paying what one might consider to be good rates - they have always had the option to pay lower if they so wished. The opportunity to pay less has always been there with countless *cheap* freelancers to choose from.

Why would the virus make them change that? 

Highlighted
Dana S Member Since: Feb 6, 2019
5 of 8

Well just for the sake of the argument ,

I would say the virus is changing the world economically,
in advertising, marketing, transportation and so on, budgets are being cut, it’s a lot of instability and many might be extra careful about those extra dollars spent.

In the same time, literally the world has become work from home place right now, or many fear or already lost their jobs.

Let’s say a busy well trained wedding photographer that has never ever considered online freelancing, because he was full of clients, now boom impossible to get clients or do any jobs. (ban on gatherings)

Such an well trained person in also editing and so on will look for alternatives incomes, to get clients might work at the lowest rate possible. Because even that is better than the alternative – 0 income.

Why now a client would now pay double for the same task?  While the client is in the same place as everyone of economic instability.

If you had 10 people offering a service at a rate, now maybe you have 100 doing the same, and the market price has always been determined by supply and demand .

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
6 of 8

If you had 10 people offering a service at a rate, now maybe you have 100 doing the same, and the market price has always been determined by supply and demand .

That cannot be the only thing that determines a market price because there are as many iphones as I need but they are always the same price.  People buy name brands over generic, even in some cases where they cannot distinguish one product from the next.

A client might pay someone with provable experience on the platform over someone who has just started on it because they have some evidence of experience.  I also find that people who can sell their skills when times are flush are not really sales people.  To use your example if there a 10 weddings one fine Saturday and only 9 photographers they don't have to do much sales.  But there is one photographer were all 10 of those people 1 but some can't afford them and the others are too late.

If quality isn't a consideration then you are selling a commodity.  An orange is always an orange.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sarah B Member Since: Dec 15, 2017
7 of 8

A client pays double for the same task because a wedding photographer who also edits their own photos and decides to sign up for Upwork due to sudden financial hardship is not the same as a professional online freelance photo editor. There are a number of skills involved in being a successful freelancer. And while both options might be able provide a client a solid deliverable, when someone new to freelancing realizes they can't provide quality service or pay their bills or upkeep their professional subscriptions because they lack management or planning or any other skill developed through freelancing successfully, the clients' projects suffer. And we're not even talking about whether a photographer who mainly edits their own photos has the same editing skills or expertise, which is certainly another consideration. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
8 of 8

Dana S wrote:

Why now a client would now pay double for the same task?  While the client is in the same place as everyone of economic instability.

If I were a client, I'd rather pay double for the same task by hiring someone who has been on Upwork for a reasonable amount of time and has plenty of experience and reviews.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS