cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will colored hair be too unprofessional?

Ace Contributor
N T Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
11 of 63

@Daniel C wrote:

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Daniel C wrote:

How else do you spot the truly creative people?

Just a wild guess: from the quality of the work they display?

I meant in the wild.  ;-)

You made me picture Elmer Fudd hunting wabbits, which made me smile.

And then I pictured Cecil the lion, and that made me feel awks.

Smiley Tongue

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
12 of 63

In 1983 I started my hair creations off with a Ziggy Stardust style complete with orange hair. I moved on to dyeing my hair pure white and the hair style I wore was a modified mohawk/nina hagen type thing. Quite creative and cool at that time. 

I've dyed my hair since 1983 in normal colors and not so normal. Now I'm down to coloring my hair in blonde tones because I'm a natural blonde that's got many silver and gray hairs that I hate. 

When I found out from my stylist that kids were begging to turn their hair gray I was shaking my head and lauging at them. She then told me when I said we'll do some more blonde highlights that I should be letting my hair grow out because I have the color of silver that people want but they can't get in a box or through the stylist. She called it beautiful and I cringed at the thought of silver and gray hair being beautiful on me. But I'm going with it. People love my hair, it's growing out but it all looks natural and no one is telling me how I look like a granny. I use Aveda purple shampoo to tone it down and I'm happy. I still wonder why young people want to have gray hair but my parents wondered why I wanted turquoise hair soooooo.... lol

I think that if someone is hiring you as a freelancer on or offline and they need someone creative they should be looking at your individual style as a plus. In fact, they shouldn't even care about how you look in the first place if your work speaks for itself. 

I know you got your answer but I thought I'd chime in with my two cents and tell you that you need to be true to yourself but make room for adjustments in case that primo job comes around and the hiring manager is a stick in the mud. You can always look mainstream until you're firmly planted in the company and then you can slowly inject your personal style into your everyday business look and they won't even know what's happening. Smiley Happy 

Ace Contributor
N T Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
13 of 63

I kudo'd you at Ziggy Stardust.

Community Guru
14 of 63

Thanks NT, always nice to be kudo'd by another Bowie fan! Smiley Happy 

Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
15 of 63

The Classic web developer with a job / web developer without a job meme....

http://www.developermemes.com/2014/09/03/web-developer-with-a-job-web-developer-without-a-job-meme/

Community Guru
16 of 63

I'm acknowledging you John for starting my Tuesday off with a giggle...

Nice one!!! lol. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 63

IT doesn't currr cuz IT is cool. Haters gonna hate.

me

rootsdone.JPG

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 63

I agree with what others have said. I don't see how anybody looking at a tiny profile picture, especially one using the high compression levels that Upwork uses, would be able to discern a difference between silver hair and naturally gray hair. You will simply look older.

As a fiction writer and multimedia creative, any hair color should be fine,

Any hair color is NOT fine for some jobs. An accountant or bookkeeper with obvious died hair is going to miss out on getting hired compared to her more staid competition.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
19 of 63

Dyed hair.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
20 of 63

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! 

that's fushcia? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS