cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will colored hair be too unprofessional?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
21 of 63

@Mariska P wrote:

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! 

that's fushcia? 

heeehee I don't know what you'd call it. lol

When I work onsite, I'm usually known as "the pink haired girl." It's become a brand of sorts. I started doing it in 2011. My sister said I'd never find a job, but never had a problem. IT is filled with anime loving weird dudes, so they don't care. Worked with guys with long hair, pierciengs, tattoos everywhere. I love that IT is cool with people. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
22 of 63

re: "hair color shouldn't matter."

There are many things which shouldn't matter, but which do matter.

Sometimes people need to make a choice between making more money or doing things their own way. I respect either choice. But I understand it is a choice.

My photo, my hairstyle, my shirt and tie all contribute to me being hired for well-paying projects over my competitors, due to the nature of the work I do. In some fields, my look would put me at a disadvantage. If I were competing in those fields, I would change my look to fit the part.

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
23 of 63

oh I'm well too aware that looks matter but like I said the quality of work has nothing to do most times with how someone looks. 

don't get me wrong Preston, if there's a job out there that I qualify i will definitely change my style for that. i've done that before and i've done subtle changes over the years of working for an employer and they didn't notice too much..except for when they asked how i got those really thick earings into my ear lobes and how they fit with all the other ones i had up and down my ears. lol.. they never knew i had a tattoo on my neck for a couple of years either.. but they knew i was one the best health care employees they had and they didn't care after a while what i looked like. so if it comes down to sacrificing my personal style for lots of money, i'll go with the money every time..i'm easy like that. lol. 

Community Guru
Mr M Member Since: Apr 27, 2013
24 of 63

pinky pinky Smiley Very Happy hahhaha nice 

"One thing I know, that I know nothing. This is the source of my wisdom"
Ace Contributor
Marie D Member Since: Jul 19, 2015
25 of 63

Your profile pic should portray you as you are, so if your thing is to have silver hair then go for it. Potential clients should only judge you on your ability to write not on your appearance. 

I'm a creative, fictional writer and my pic shows me with a rescued chinchilla sitting on my back. Clients have told me it's a great profile pic and shows me to be completely natural and approachable. 

Heather J Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
26 of 63

Hi Aiden, 

I have had bright red, purple, pink, multicolored, and blue hair since working on Upwork/oDesk. I kept my profile picture as a photo of me with  dark purple hair, where you couldn't really tell what color it was. 

I recently changed my photo to a more up-to-date photo of me with my current blue hair. I have actually had an increase of job invites since. All three of my current clients have seen me with blue hair. 

If a potential client chose not to hire me because I have blue hair, well that's a consequence I have chosen to accept. But so far, my bright hair hasn't affected me in a negative way. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
27 of 63

heyyy I like the blue

Aidan C Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
28 of 63

Thanks everyone for great answers! It's something I've been debating for a long time and I appreciate all the input (especially from all the freelancers who have more experience trying different things out). I hope everyone has a great day and a ton of success Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
29 of 63

Hair's looking good Heather!

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
30 of 63

To dye or not to dye ? that is the million dollar questions. Can all those in favour please say 'Aye'........... (so far the aye's/nays seem to be evenly tied ?).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS