cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will colored hair be too unprofessional?

Community Guru
Mario C Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
31 of 63

I think that is  you were a mature, self confident and idependent professional you wouldnt be asking  this.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
32 of 63

LOL It's not really confidence. It's just doing whatever and not currrring.

If having silver hair matters that much to people, you probably don't want to work with them anyway.

Aidan C Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
33 of 63

I don't think mature professionals make such rude comments on a casual forum that is meant to help freelancers when they have questions. If you want to be helpful, then voice constructive criticism such as "In my experience, colored hair could be seen as immature". 

Instead of criticizing my willingness to reach out to other professionals for their opinion and what has worked for them.

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
34 of 63

Somebody's hair (or appearance in general) shouldn't matter in the slightest when it comes to somebody's ability to do the job. However, that's not always the case based on the world we live in.

I'm as open minded as the next guy, but you're going to have at least a tiny bit of concern if your lawyer walks into your cell, or your doctor walks into your operating theatre, and he/she has a green mohican, a ripped denim jacket and is riddled with piercings and facial tattoos. That's just the way it is. It's just not the done thing. 

I mean, sure, we're getting better... you'd get the same reaction if a lady lawyer had a skirt on back in the day, or short hair, or just being a lady lawyer in the first place!

However, when it comes to the creative arts... writing, art, video etc... It would make absolutely no difference to me if somebody had short hair, long hair, no hair, black hair, pink hair or green hair. Or silver hair! You get free pass when it comes to arty stuff!

In my time, I have had... pink, purple, green, white, black, brown, red, blue and orange hair. I have had my hair 'normal', curled, straightened, crimped, plaited, in dreadlocks, braided, shaved and even... in a beehive. My hair is genre defining, trend-setting and inspiring. I guess with all that action, I;m not surprised it's thinning and receding a bit. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
35 of 63

i'm interested in seeing a picture of you in a beehive scott. not everyone can pull that look off you know. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
36 of 63

I wanna see these dreads.

Community Guru
37 of 63

Unfortunately, it was in the days when people rarely had the equipment with them to take photographs. Maybe I'll sketch it for you!

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
38 of 63

mine are stored in museums and some of my pictures can be seen amongst the early cave drawings, so i understand about the lack of photographic equipment. 

a personally sketched likeness of you will suffice. 

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
39 of 63

@Scott E wrote:

I mean, sure, we're getting better... you'd get the same reaction if a lady lawyer had a skirt on back in the day, or short hair, or just being a lady lawyer in the first place!

Not quite, Scott. The first "lady lawyers" would have scandalized if they had appeared in anything but a skirt (as, part, to be sure, of a dress or suit of some sort).

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
40 of 63

Yeah, I think I meant to say trousers, or pants, but it was late and I'd been to the pub. Not always easy to get the thinking juices from the brain, through the keyboard and into the text box. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS