cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will colored hair be too unprofessional?

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
51 of 63

i'm kind of smh on why this should have been in the coffee break section because this is not some fluff topic.  

just because many of us (including myself) didn't reply with a stuffy yes or no and here's why answer doesn't make it a silly conversation. injecting some humor or personal experience makes the topic a bit more interesting. not saying that dyeing your hair gray isn't interesting but you know what i mean. 

so from now on, and this is what i'm understanding from the official reply,  is that any questions and comments regarding how a freelancer looks, or wants to look,  in their profile picture must be taken to the coffee break room. got it. good to know. 

enjoy your new hair though!!! Smiley Happy 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
52 of 63

re: "Looks play a huge role"

Upwork has a whole help page dedicated to telling people how to prepare their profile photo.

That is the first thing many clients will see in a list of job applicants.

If a busy client has 50 applicants in front of him, you better believe he will delete some of them based purely on the photo, deciding instantly that he does not need to further investigate the applications of contractors whose photos are poorly lit, whose facial expression seems unfriendly, or whose attire seems inappropriate for the job.

Is this fair?

I have little interest in pondering that question. There is often a big difference in the real world between "what is fair" and what maximizes profit.

Maybe the president of your bank would rather wear a T-shirt everyday, but he shows up for work in a suit. If you dress the way a potential client envisions his contractor dressing for a particular job (which is not always in a business  suit), you may have a better chance of getting hired.

Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
53 of 63

@Aidan C wrote:

I chose this area because Marketing is a huge part of freelancing, I've had a boost in clients just from having a nicer profile picture. I also do a lot of video interviews. 

I'm a bit annoyed that some of you are criticising this question. Again, it was to figure out if it would negatively affect gaining new clients. 

Looks play a huge role, if you look on fiver, the top sellers have almost model like images. 

I would keep my old profile picture, but if I'm doing videos (which I usually do for almost every high level job). They'll know that I have unnaturally colored hair. 

Fortunately, I've had a lot of people with real constructive answers give me their advice and experiences. I think I'll just have to test it out, and if it does affect myself negatively, then I'll take the loss and dye my hair back to brown. 

So thanks to those who put effort into helping me figure things out. I again, appreciate it.

Again this is essentially a MARKETING related question, since there seems to be confusion. 

Firstly you can't bring Fiverr into discussion. We are talking about a professional community, not five dollars gigs booth.

Preston pretty much covered everything here, I totally agree with what he said. You can't put your bet on some clients that are maybe biased and will choose you just because you are standing out of the crowd for them. It's about following some general guidelines and aspects that would generate a professional outlook to anybody, not a certain part of your audience.

If you are a PR, then why would you consider that your pink hair will entice your company's image? Or more complex to think of, some people might consider having this really different appearence (although it's really hard to distinguish from a small picture), only because they like following their whims, and so believing they're "different", and sacrifing their ordinary appearence.

Community Guru
54 of 63

Cristian-Adrian F,

is it against community guidelines to mention fiverr or something? lol. 

why do you think that the fiverr community is less professional than upwork? i have a couple of friends on fiverr that make a very good living from their gigs and they don't work around the clock. 

you do realize there are clients here advertising gigs for 10 pennies right? you do realize that there are freelancers accepting these gigs right? that's a lot of work for $5. lol. 

so what exactly makes upwork professional and fiverr not? 

Aidan C Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
55 of 63

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. It seems like there are the more friendly open minded individuals, then there are the serious "This is how things are" individuals. 

I'm surprised that someone would discount Fiverr. As a freelancer, I would think that people would be open to trying out as many websites as they would like to bring in money and gain experience. 

I prefer Elance, and am currently moving over to upwork. But I was on Odesk, and I use freelancer, Fiverr, Online portfolios, forums, and several other platforms to spread out and capture a following. 

Looks play a major role, it may not be fair sometimes, but overall it can be used to your advantage. As for me, I care about my business more than my personal preferences, but if I'm able to mix both, then I would be a happy camper haha.

Community Guru
56 of 63

Maybe he discounted fiverr because he found that hiring people there was too rich for his blood? Or maybe because it wasn't a lucrative opportunity for him? Could be anything but I totally agree, why limit yourself to one site when there are so many to choose from. Some clients may prefer to stick to one agency and not create jobs in all sorts of site so it's smart to spread yourself out. Variety is the spice of life! 

If it came to a choice between high payand my hair color or style preference I'd go with money all the time. I prefer to look the way I want though as long as it doesn't affect my quality of work but whatever... I guess I'm still in hippy mode even though I didn't get the full hippy experience. lol. 

I hope that the 'these are the way things are' people loosen up every once in a while because we aren't here forever and life lessons aren't always cut and dry. Smiley Happy 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
57 of 63

Don't judge anybody harshly because they discount Fiverr.

There may well be people who are quite successful in making money on that site, and there are no doubt many happy customers. But if you go to the site and just take a quick look around, or even just consider it's name, it really is a site predicated on the concept that you can offer services that you'll do for $5.00, and you can hire people to do things for $5.00.

So, yes, taken at face value, this strikes a lot of people as a joke.

If people learn more about it, they may realize that $5 gigs are gateways to opportunities for upselling, making more money, etc. But that isn't the main concept that the site markets.

Even if a person were to know all there to know about Fiverr, there are many people who would still consider their whole approach to be unprofessional and antithetical to any philosophy based on elevating qualified contractors as highly capable professionals who should be compensated accordingly.

Other people would say that they are "non-traditional but innovative." To each his own.

But lest there be any confusion on this topic, yes, Fiverr may be mentioned in the Community Forum, and absolutely it is fair game to lambaste them. But why bother criticizing Fiverr? It serves no purpose.

On an unrelated topic, I don't go to a local elementary school and see if I can best the children there in a game of basketball.

Community Guru
58 of 63

'you can offer services that you'll do for $5.00, and you can hire people to do things for $5.00.

So, yes, taken at face value, this strikes a lot of people as a joke.'

I see what you're saying Preston... but what is the minimum rate here again? It's on the tip of my t*ngu*... 

Smiley Wink 

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
59 of 63

I think the key to Fiverr is to come up with some service that offers considerably more value than $5 for considerably less than one hours work. 

If you're offering one hour of work for $5 then you're unlikely to get your yacht and underground base anytime soon. I think they charge a lot more than 10% as well. But if you can do something for $5 that takes 5 minutes, then everyone's a winner! $60 an hour isn't too shoddy. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
60 of 63

"But if you can do something for $5 that takes 5 minutes"

That doesn't apply to their entire userbase really. I don't say there might be a talent pool that's worth paying that money, but logo design, scripting or anything that requires a certain level of expertise doesn't cater to a professional with standards willing to do it for $5, frankly.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS