cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows broke my webcam

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
1 of 33

This is mostly a venting of spleen, I don't expect there's a palatable solution. My 5-year old Samsung laptop stopped recognizing its built-in webcam. Not sure when, as I only use it occasionally, when a client insists on face-to-face presentations. I strongly suspect it was after one of the two most recent Windows updates.

I tried uninstalling the camera and restarting the computer, to see if it would reinstall cleanly. It did not. Samsung's only suggestions are a factory reset or pack it off to their repair shop. Not doing either one. Have searched for Windows solutions but not interested in consulting Microsoft directly because the last time I enlisted their help to recover from a Windows update, it sucked up three days of my time and was completely disruptive.

The webcam is not mission-critical and I'm mustering the wherewithal to buy a new PC this year, anyway. But it's aggravating as all get-out. I have back-to-back presentations today and tomorrow, using Zoom. The workaround is to log in with two machines, the PC to run the PowerPoint and my Chromebook so the clients can see me. 

I wish Windows would stop breaking things.

Also, if anybody does have a hot tip about fixing this without rolling back to a factory reset, I'm all ears.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 33

Googling "Samsung laptop stopped recognizing its built-in webcam" brings up forum thread links and a few YouTube videos ... so may be some help from those two sources.

Community Guru
3 of 33

Virginia F wrote:

Googling "Samsung laptop stopped recognizing its built-in webcam" brings up forum thread links and a few YouTube videos ... so may be some help from those two sources.

I did quite a bit of searching that way, probably didn't hit on that specific phrase. I will look some more. thx

Community Guru
4 of 33

Phyllis G wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

I did quite a bit of searching that way, probably didn't hit on that specific phrase. I will look some more. thx

Here's a that came up for me:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-built-in-webcam-doesnt-work-no-camera-detec...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D330krwhKOI

https://www.makeuseof.com/answers/how-can-i-fix-the-built-in-webcam-on-my-samsung-notebook/ read fourth post down

Community Guru
5 of 33

Virginia F wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

Here's a that came up for me:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-built-in-webcam-doesnt-work-no-camera-detec...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D330krwhKOI

https://www.makeuseof.com/answers/how-can-i-fix-the-built-in-webcam-on-my-samsung-notebook/ read fourth post down

Thanks!

I can't update the driver because Samsung isn't making it available. I may get into trying Windows diagnostics after I spend some time pricing new laptops and pondering things I'd rather spend money on this summer.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 33

Phyllis G wrote:

After years and years of killing on average 1 Windows machine (laptop) every 8 months (mostly my fault) I finally bought a Mac. (Apple iMac 27 Inch Retina 5K display)

Happy now. Very happy now.

Took me two 2 days to adjust to apple-dom, wish I'd done it a decade earlier! Still using a "still alive" Lenovo that survived all my attempts to kill it. Once it dies it will be replaced by another apple thingie.

Community Guru
7 of 33

Petra R wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

After years and years of killing on average 1 Windows machine (laptop) every 8 months (mostly my fault) I finally bought a Mac.

Happy now.

I've been a Mac user from day one ... I can't believe how fast my PC-user friends go through their computers.

ETA: Yes ... Mac operating systems are elegant and very user-friendly.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 33

Virginia F wrote:

I've been a Mac user from day one ... I can't believe how fast my PC-user friends go through their computers.

Why didn't you tell me lol....

I was afraid that my software won't work or that I might not get used to it or that it .......

It really was idiot-proof!

Community Guru
9 of 33

Petra R wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

Why didn't you tell me lol....

I was afraid that my software won't work or that I might not get used to it or that it .......

It really was idiot-proof!

Well ... you didn't ask  Smiley Tongue

But seriously, bringing up that you're a Mac user means debates will ensue. Their was a time when differences between operating systems was a wider gulf than now. But from the start, most people in the field of graphic design insisted that doing the work on a Mac was so much better/easier/less frustrating than the PC alternative. I occasionally worked on PCs in the real world ... that just made me appreciate my Mac even more. The biggest thing for me was how much more immune to viruses and bugs they've always been.

I'm sure that now this thread is here, we'll be hearing from "the other side".

Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
10 of 33

Buy a Mac. I have one that is 10 years old and is still running great. I passed it off to my daughter when I wanted to upgrade my Mac and she hasn't killed it yet. Great computers.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS