Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows broke my webcam

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
21 of 33

Richard W wrote:

Phyllis, have you got any particular reason to think it's a Windows problem and not a broken camera

I'm a Mac person, but I do agree that blaming Windows is a little premature. The webcam may just have died.

Macs are good, especially for those who want to spend more time using their computer than configuring it and fixing it, but they are way, way too expansive.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
22 of 33

Richard W wrote:

Phyllis, have you got any particular reason to think it's a Windows problem and not a broken camera (apart from the fact that Windows is responsible for 90% of what's wrong with the world)?

If you're not sure whether it's the hardware, it might be worth trying a cheap clip-on webcam.

Phyllis G wrote:

Yes, good housekeeping is critical and I suspect that's why the Samsung has slowed down. And again, I used to know how to keep Windows running pretty well but now they've made everything too opaque.

Then a reset to factory state might not be a bad idea, to have a clean out. In Windows 8 & 10 you can reset just Windows and programs, without losing your documents and other user files (but I'd still advise backing them up first). Of course, it's still a pain having to reinstall and reconfigure all your programs.

A few months ago my PC (Windows 10) was running extremely slowly. Most of the time there seemed to be some Microsoft process or other hogging access to the disk. So I exchanged my hard disk for an SSD (i.e. flash memory). Due to a software problem with the SSD I ended up doing a factory reset too. Now my PC is sooo much faster even than when it was new. On the other hand, I wasted a lot of time trying to fix the software problem, and then reinstalling and reconfiguring all my programs after the reset, so might not be worth the effort. But I'm glad now that I did it.

I guess it seems more likely to me that a Windows update fouled the works, than that the hardly-used webcam just spontaneously broke. (Laptop has not suffered any blows to the head or other physical mishaps.) But it could be the latter, I guess.

Re. a factory reset, it's the task of reinstalling and reconfiguring everything that daunts me. I'd rather be outside gardening. I run routine backups to an external drive, so not concerned about my data. OTOH, nothing bad has ever come of a thorough turning out and cleaning up of any Windows machine I've had. And I'm sure, once I price new machines, especially Macs, I'll look upon housekeeping with a less jaundiced eye.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
23 of 33

This is oddly coincidental. Are you using Windows 7? I'm pretty sure the last update I installed  killed my mic. I was able to fix it by messing with the settings, applying, and well... now it works. It's still kinda quiet but works.

If I were you, I would download the latest drivers and try installing them. That sometimes works.

I had to install Windows 10 on my newly beautiful gaming PC I built (it's pretty awesome) because Windows 7 install froze at the first install screen. Tried everything and it no workie, so I'm stuck with 10. I think the day is coming soon when Windows 7 ain't gonna be supported much longer.

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
24 of 33

Stop using Windows, then. I've been using Ubuntu for about 3 years, and I'm really happy not to have to deal with Windows nonsence any more.

Besides, I'm planning to buy a new computer. If you can buy one with Ubuntu instead of Windows, you save 100 euros - and many headaches.

Community Guru
25 of 33

Luce N wrote:

Stop using Windows, then. I've been using Ubuntu for about 3 years, and I'm really happy not to have to deal with Windows nonsence any more.

Besides, I'm planning to buy a new computer. If you can buy one with Ubuntu instead of Windows, you save 100 euros - and many headaches.

Luce, you sent me googling. I will check into Ubuntu. Whenever I've tried using open source software before, I've wound up going back to MS products because I wound up spending too much time and attention on bridging gaps. But I am going to look into it, thanks!

Community Guru
26 of 33

Jennifer M wrote:

This is oddly coincidental. Are you using Windows 7? I'm pretty sure the last update I installed  killed my mic. I was able to fix it by messing with the settings, applying, and well... now it works. It's still kinda quiet but works.

If I were you, I would download the latest drivers and try installing them. That sometimes works.

I had to install Windows 10 on my newly beautiful gaming PC I built (it's pretty awesome) because Windows 7 install froze at the first install screen. Tried everything and it no workie, so I'm stuck with 10. I think the day is coming soon when Windows 7 ain't gonna be supported much longer.

It's Windows 10. I've had problems before when an update fouled up something. In 2017 I spent the better part of a week making my way through about three levels of  Windows support to find somebody who could actually help. The root problem was definitely an update gone wrong but they couldn't figure out how to fix it and we wound up doing a clean reinstall. I hated it.

This time, I can't get updated driver for the camera. It's built-in to this Samsung notebook which is now about five years old and Samsung has more or less abandoned it. All they offered was a factory reset or box it up and send it in for diagnosis. That doesn't seem like a worthwhile investment.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
27 of 33

Phyllis G wrote:

It's Windows 10. I've had problems before when an update fouled up something. In 2017 I spent the better part of a week making my way through about three levels of  Windows support to find somebody who could actually help. The root problem was definitely an update gone wrong but they couldn't figure out how to fix it and we wound up doing a clean reinstall. I hated it.

This time, I can't get updated driver for the camera. It's built-in to this Samsung notebook which is now about five years old and Samsung has more or less abandoned it. All they offered was a factory reset or box it up and send it in for diagnosis. That doesn't seem like a worthwhile investment.

Well **bleep** gurrrl, that's frustrating as hell. Maybe an excuse to get a new machine? Smiley Happy If you have my kinda luck, Upwork will flag your account for identify verification tomorrow. Smiley Very Happy

eta: If you're a windows person like me, you won't like Linux/Ubuntu. If you want to make a change, I suggest Mac too. I stick with Windows. I'm allll Windows baybbeeeee. The nerds make fun of me for it when I was programming, but I made more money than they did soooooooo..

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
28 of 33

All my issues with Windows stopped when I stopped updating Windows. My Win 7 PC has not had as much as a glitch since I turned off automatic updates three years ago, and my Win 10 laptop has been running perfectly for the past 2years since I reset it, and then disconnected it from the Internet. 

According to Microsoft Tech Support, they have no idea when Win 10 will become a fully functional oprtaing system, as opposed to being an experiment, but until that time comes, I won't endure another Win 10 infection.  

Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
29 of 33

I run Windows 10. Periodically an update will ruin a driver. It's usually related to the microphone or speakers.  With my hubby, the updates kill his scanner every once in awhile.

Just reinstall your drivers and hold your breath with each update.

Haters gonna hate, but Windows 10 saved the world from Windows 9 and I appreciate it.

Community Guru
30 of 33

Cheryl K wrote:

I run Windows 10. Periodically an update will ruin a driver. It's usually related to the microphone or speakers.  With my hubby, the updates kill his scanner every once in awhile.

Haters gonna hate, but Windows 10 saved the world from Windows 9 and I appreciate it.

Cheryl K wrote:

Yes, it's like knowing I will need to clean the floor after the washing machine repairman has been here, just crossing my fingers he won't break the window next to the machine.

Trouble is that the camera driver is not available. I have to do a factory reset on the entire machine.

The presentations this week went off with flying colors, using Chromebook for webcam and Samsung to run the PowerPoint. So I am going to the beach for a few days and kick this can into next month.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS