cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Working online in foreign countries

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
1 of 51

Do we require a work permit for working online in a foreign country?

“Most digital nomads are either freelancers or entrepreneurs that are registered in their home countries for tax purposes, meaning they are not technically working in the countries they are visiting. As long as they only stay for the legal amount of time and don’t work for, or employ, locals, they can enter any country and work online with just a tourist visa.

Here is an interesting article:  How to Work Your Way Around the World Without the Visa Hassle.

"Certa bonum certamen"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 51

Whatever the legal ins and outs, the answer is not to talk about it and carry on working. I would not dream of telling touchy countries such as the US or Canada when I visited them, that I worked as a freelancer, and that I intended working on projects for which I would be paid in my own country.

The bureaucratic mindset would not be able to take this concept on board.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 51

Setting aside ALL legal and bureaucratic matters... ignoring all issues relating to visas, citizenship, taxes, etc., let me speak for the countries that tourist freelancers visit:

You (the freelancer) have come to our country...

You are not taking away any jobs from anybody here.

You are not doing any work that otherwise would have been done by our citizens.

You are not staying here permanently.

You are not a burden on our social services.

You are spending money (foreign capital) here for lodging, food, entertainment, etc.

You help provide work for our citizens.

Thank you!

Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
4 of 51

I love when Preston makes sense. But then I go to another topic and I'm like, what the heck, is that the same guy? LOL.

This widget could not be displayed.
5 of 51

Community Guru
6 of 51

Margarete, this story is a bit extreme (not saying it's not true). Under similar circumstances, almost nobody will be allowed to enter to the states then.

Community Guru
13 of 51

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
13 of 51

I work from the US except for a month or 6 weeks every year when I work from Spain.  As the bulk of my income is earned when in the US, I pay taxes as stipulated by the IRS (curse their little souls).

Clients always know when I'm in Spain > nobody else needs to.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
13 of 51

Margarete,  yes - each freelancer must deal w/ their individual country tax laws ... but that is not the gist of the thread.

We can be digital nomads or not; it's an individual preference.  Basic rules do apply as per the article Wassim shared and the comments of some others in this thread.

13 of 51

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS