Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Working online in foreign countries

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
13 of 51

@Wendy C wrote:

Basic rules do apply as per the article Wassim shared and the comments of some others in this thread. 

Excuse me?

"Certa bonum certamen"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
13 of 51

And it's too late for me to edit my faux pas.  I'm so sorry, Ravindra. Red-faced me ...

Joao S Member Since: Jul 16, 2019
13 of 51

Hello Wendy C, I do believe we should be able to be digital nomads. But I have a question, I am quite new at UpWork and I am wondering if I can work from Europe for UK clients (even though many times they say -just for UK residents at they publications)? I do not want to trick them of course I want to be honest about my location but I am afraid that will short the number of jobs I will get, because of my location... Can you advise me what to do please?

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
14 of 51

Joao,

For the moment, you are free to work anywhere in the EU, but you do have to declare your earnings to your resident country. This of course, is pre-Brexit, so you had better consult the tax authorities of how you stand if you are resident in UK 

Portugal has particularly harsh taxation for freelancers, so you really need to get your resident/tax status sorted if you are planning to work from  anywhere other than the UK.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 51

@Wassim T wrote:

Margarete, this story is a bit extreme (not saying it's not true). Under similar circumstances, almost nobody will be allowed to enter to the states then.

It is not extreme.

Upwork, to comply with the laws and avoid being held responsible themselves, have to suspend freelancer accounts / profiles who show as being in the US and when those people can not produce a valid work permit, freeze all finances, and not resume it until the person can prove not to be in the USA any longer.

Advice to just carry on and keep quiet can be very VERY dangerous. Of course it is not the advice giver who is stuck on foreign soil without access to their funds and possibly deported and banned from entering the country again......

Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
16 of 51

Hi Petra, 

I think I wasn't very clear with my response to Margarete. In fact, I absolutely respect the law of the country I am visiting, but say for example I want to visit Italy for a week as a tourist, then I prefer to not mention this kind of detail in my application, especially that I am barely going to have time to work. However, I might need to tackle a few tasks here and there during my stay and I see no reason to delay the approval of my application because of this. 

So I think the confusion was that I was referring to short visits, while Margarete and others were probably speaking about longer term visits. So Margarete and you are correct in this regard. I was mistaken so I apologize for my previous statement. 

By the way, I'm really planning to visit Italy this year, but let's not deviate the discussion :") 

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
17 of 51

Wassim, I consider my 4 -5 week escape to sanity short term.  Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
18 of 51

@Margarete M wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

Setting aside ALL legal and bureaucratic matters... ignoring all issues relating to visas, citizenship, taxes, etc., let me speak for the countries that tourist freelancers visit:

You (the freelancer) have come to our country...

You are not taking away any jobs from anybody here.

You are not doing any work that otherwise would have been done by our citizens.

You are not staying here permanently.

You are not a burden on our social services.

You are spending money (foreign capital) here for lodging, food, entertainment, etc.

You help provide work for our citizens.

Thank you!

Preston, nobody can let aside legal and bureaucratic matters. Of course, nobody is allowed working online or offline in the US without a work permit. Freelancers should be cautious what they communicate. Some time ago a young woman from Germany who just finished school was not allowed to enter the US when she already had arrived at the US airport to visit her aunt's family. The reason: The US authorities checked her FB account and read her post that she could sometimes look after the children and drive them to school with the car. She was suspected that she intended to work in the US as an aupair without a work permit, treated accordingly and sent back to Germany.

Does the US Immigration Service really check peoples' Facebook accounts? Not saying its not true, but does Big Brother not have anything better to do?

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
19 of 51

@Reinier B wrote:

Does the US Immigration Service really check peoples' Facebook accounts? Not saying its not true, but does Big Brother not have anything better to do?

I don't know if they do it regularly, but the case Margarete is talking about is certainly true. And it got quite a bit of attention when the story came out. I was also advised by a Mod not to log hours when I was traveling in the U.S., since their tourist visa regulations are so severe. (I was worried about Upwork detecting my location when there, and suspending my account.)

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
20 of 51

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

@Reinier B wrote:

I don't know if they do it regularly, but the case Margarete is talking about is certainly true. And it got quite a bit of attention when the story came out. I was also advised by a Mod not to log hours when I was traveling in the U.S., since their tourist visa regulations are so severe. (I was worried about Upwork detecting my location when there, and suspending my account.)

What a world we live in!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS