Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Working online in foreign countries

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
31 of 51

@Preston H wrote:

Of course, I'm only pointing out what is shown in these series.

I have watched every episode of Dr. House.

Let me wax lyrically about complex neurological disorders.

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
32 of 51

He is talking apples and you are talking oranges. 

And regarding this strange story, I don't think that is a whole story, and quite frankly, I find it very hard to believe--it would just not be doable to do all that for every person coming to the U. S. especially not someone from country that has a solid economy. People would not be able to travel at all and all airports in the world would be blocked if that was the case...And the U.S. would lose billions that they get from tourists, foreign students and other visitors...

To add, it doesn't really pay off for Americans to hire their nannies off the books even if they work for peanuts, because they can't claim that nannies' salaries in their tax deductions...They have more than enough legal nannies there. And not to mention that almost no one would have a confidence in teenager/young adult to do this highly responsible job...So even if that was her plan, no one would hire someone who has unresolved status, who doesn't have long-term visa, who doesn't have experience or American references etc. She would have to self-deport sooner or later, so it would make zero sense to single her out and waste government resources on her...

I had German friends in the U.S. and none of them needed visa --not even tourist visa--up to 90 days. Au pair--J1-- is not real work permit, but cultural exchange sponsorship visa--the work they do is not considered work in the real sense of that word, the same goes for religious workers/ngos/missioners...

This widget could not be displayed.
33 of 51

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
34 of 51

re: "it would just not be doable to do all that for every person coming to the U.S."

I can assure you that border and immigration officials in Australia, Canada and the United States do NOT check the cell phones, text messages, email, paperwork found in luggage, etc. for "every person" entering those countries.

These practices are applied very selectively. The immigration officials who work at customs desks and points of entry are trained to ask people questions and look at their paperwork and look for signs of deception or evasion. Only when they suspect somebody is being deceptive or evasive will they pull them out of the regular lines and question them further. When they think that the information the incoming visitor is providing (in their paperwork or verbal answers) is suspicious or inaccurate, then that is when they do a more thorough investigation.

So the more thorough investigation techniques are definitely NOT applied to "every person" entering these countries.

Highlighted
Community Guru
35 of 51

Hence I wrote "I don't think that is a whole story..."And I know how your borders work, but thanks anyway...

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
36 of 51

It is not difficult to find the story, which is a couple of years old: http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2015/08/babysitter_versus_the_border_p.html

Regarding border control for animal and plant products - Australia and New Zealand are very strict because of their island nature. NZ is even stricter than Australia. And people don't think about the massive impact that introduced pests can have. When I travel home to NZ to visit my family and then return to Australia, I have to declare that I have been in a rural area because my family home borders a farm. And I'm very careful about food I transport between the two countries.

Community Guru
37 of 51

Sure, I agree-it is not difficult to find the story--the fact that it was published doesn't make it less far-fetched... But whatever...

38 of 51

Community Guru
39 of 51

Knowledge about the system and behavior of their border control, personal experience--going to the U.S. eight times on different visa types and entering on different entry points...Border officers just don't talk like that and don't have the luxury to go through tweets of some random German teenager just for this-- suspicion that she is about to commit a grave sin of babysitting for her aunt... 

Community Guru
40 of 51

And to add Margareite, my working freelancer profile is fine and well--thanks for asking:-)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS