Re: Working online in foreign countries

This widget could not be displayed.
31 of 49

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
32 of 49

re: "it would just not be doable to do all that for every person coming to the U.S."

I can assure you that border and immigration officials in Australia, Canada and the United States do NOT check the cell phones, text messages, email, paperwork found in luggage, etc. for "every person" entering those countries.

These practices are applied very selectively. The immigration officials who work at customs desks and points of entry are trained to ask people questions and look at their paperwork and look for signs of deception or evasion. Only when they suspect somebody is being deceptive or evasive will they pull them out of the regular lines and question them further. When they think that the information the incoming visitor is providing (in their paperwork or verbal answers) is suspicious or inaccurate, then that is when they do a more thorough investigation.

So the more thorough investigation techniques are definitely NOT applied to "every person" entering these countries.

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
33 of 49

Hence I wrote "I don't think that is a whole story..."And I know how your borders work, but thanks anyway...

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
34 of 49

It is not difficult to find the story, which is a couple of years old: http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2015/08/babysitter_versus_the_border_p.html

Regarding border control for animal and plant products - Australia and New Zealand are very strict because of their island nature. NZ is even stricter than Australia. And people don't think about the massive impact that introduced pests can have. When I travel home to NZ to visit my family and then return to Australia, I have to declare that I have been in a rural area because my family home borders a farm. And I'm very careful about food I transport between the two countries.

Community Guru
35 of 49

Sure, I agree-it is not difficult to find the story--the fact that it was published doesn't make it less far-fetched... But whatever...

36 of 49

Community Guru
37 of 49

Knowledge about the system and behavior of their border control, personal experience--going to the U.S. eight times on different visa types and entering on different entry points...Border officers just don't talk like that and don't have the luxury to go through tweets of some random German teenager just for this-- suspicion that she is about to commit a grave sin of babysitting for her aunt... 

Community Guru
38 of 49

And to add Margareite, my working freelancer profile is fine and well--thanks for asking:-)

39 of 49

Highlighted
40 of 49

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS