🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Working theory
Page options
lysis10
Community Member

Working theory

Everyone I know working from home is day drinking and watching trash TV all day. My one friend who wears makeup to go to the grocery store doesn't even do her hair anymore.

I predict people are gonna think we just sit at home drinking, poop posting on internets, and watching TV and corgi videos all day. This just isn't tru....

oh wait.............

Have a Chihuahua video to throw them off the scent.

11 REPLIES 11
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

I predict people are gonna think we just sit at home drinking, poop posting on internets, and watching TV and corgi videos all day. 

Isn't this what they already think? (My mother certainly does...)

I hear you! My extended la familia and friends think people pay me for not doing anything...apparently "she has such an easy job and gets to sit at home all day!" and then they moan when I won't just get off my azz and do stuff for them...cos...well...."but you're at home all day!"

But then, it's not a 'real' job, is it?

Irene,

It actually can get worse. A management consultant guides his/her clients to understand underlying issues and ask the right questions, then identify the various drivers and levers that can be applied to the issues to meet goals. We do that by spending decades learning our craft, reading and studying close to half of our time, attending seminars and conferences, presenting papers, and talking to the clients.

The clients' attitude was summed up for me a few years ago. "Thanks for the conversation!"

A management consultant also spends years in the "pyramid" of development where their Snrs mentor them,  Then they are placed into projects where they can learn and deliver, but not have much opportunity to do delivery harm (lol...).  We know of this because we have lived this.

My first business book was Miller Heiman's "Strategic Selling".  It came out in 1986 when I was starting my corporate sales career.  Thirty-five years later, it is still the gold standard from which to learn corporate-class selling skills and processes.  I require my mentees, at some point in time or another, to get the book and read it.  Then, we cover page 82, 96, 111, 147, 223, 387.   Those pages have stood the test of time for 35 years.  To this day, I still conduct my selling activities on Upwork (proposal, response, negotiations)  according to the principles expressed on those pages.

I just send my family emails at 9am when I start the day and 9pm when I end it.   They really love seeing snapshots of the metrics -- views, competitive position of interviews and wins.   "Wow, I never knew freelancing was such a well developed business ecosystem".

With the coronavirus and accompanying lockdown in my country, I've noticed a new tendency where people I know start phoning because (insert boredom) they want to 'catch up'. Well.......... I'm not people's favorite anymore because I tend to cut the rambling conversations short because..."Sorry Bob/Mary/Jane/...I'm working."

Irene B wrote:

With the coronavirus and accompanying lockdown in my country, I've noticed a new tendency where people I know start phoning because (insert boredom) they want to 'catch up'. Well.......... I'm not people's favorite anymore because I tend to cut the rambling conversations short because..."Sorry Bob/Mary/Jane/...I'm working."

I have to be strict about Zoom parties - no daytime parties! 

Nichola L wrote:

Irene B wrote:

I tend to cut the rambling conversations short because..."Sorry Bob/Mary/Jane/...I'm working."

Same here. Invasive, isn't it?

On that note, isn't it sad when you thought an invasive and irritating virus had gone away and then wake up to see it's back....

Don't use Zoom people! It's a security nightmare. Seriously.

Go for Skype online (no account) or Google Duo. But do not install Zoom.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Don't use Zoom people! It's a security nightmare. Seriously.

Go for Skype online (no account) or Google Duo. But do not install Zoom.

Yup - big article about it in Le Figaro: https://www.lefigaro.fr/secteur/high-tech/les-donnees-de-530-000-comptes-zoom-en-vente-sur-le-dark-w...

I have to persuade friends family to change - but addiction is difficult to overcome! 

Petra R wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Irene B wrote:

I tend to cut the rambling conversations short because..."Sorry Bob/Mary/Jane/...I'm working."

Same here. Invasive, isn't it?

On that note, isn't it sad when you thought an invasive and irritating virus had gone away and then wake up to see it's back....

Latest Articles
Learning Paths