cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Freelancers" selling their wares

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
1 of 24

I received yet another email today from a so-called freelancer, except, he is not really one. "What is she talking about?" you might ask. Well let me explain, shall I? 

If you browse through Amazon or even google the web, there are a myriad people that want to sell you their 'guaranteed to get you a million dollar a year' guidelines. They tend to say things along the lines of: "By following these six steps......blah blah blah........your are guaranteed an income of....blah blah blah.....all it costs you is....."

Now, when you actually go do a little research into these people, you might be astounded when you realise that their business is NOT actually freelancing - not as we know it, at any rate. Or if it is, they have not really been as successful as they claim to be - not have they really been very active for an extremely long time. They may tout themselves as freelancers, but if you go and check, you will find that they actually have NOT made much moolah in the freelancing industry - not at all! The information they want you to pay for is actually stuff those that are on THIS forum give away for free! There is absolutely NOTHING new in anything any of them is saying! Yet people flock to purchase their so-called products. It boggles the mind.

Anyhow, just my two cents' worth. Anyone got anything to add or do you agree? Do you disagree? What is your take and why?

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
2 of 24

Whenever someone wants to sell success story I know he's a fraudster and only thing that makes him/her money is the selling of that fraud. I had clients who were presenting their stories and it's always the exact same pattern. It's even funny. I find both them and people who fall on fraud not very smart.

3 of 24

Who owns what when it comes to intellectual property? Everything we write here is in the public domain, but someone must own the copyright. Is it Upwork or us?

Can Upwork (or freelancers) go after people who copy from the forum?

Irene have you seen if any of the things written, copy any items word-for-word, either from the threads or the Upwork blogs?

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 24

@Nichola L wrote:

Who owns what when it comes to intellectual property? Everything we write here is in the public domain, but someone must own the copyright. Is it Upwork or us?

Can Upwork (or freelancers) go after people who copy from the forum?

Irene have you seen if any of the things written, copy any items word-for-word, either from the threads or the Upwork blogs?

I've not found anything in the TOS that says that Upwork or the forum host takes copyright to posts made here. In that event, copyrights automatically vest in the writer as soon as the words are written down.

"In the public domain" actually means that something is uncopyrighted and free for anyone's use. That generally applies to works created before copyright vested automatically or those with expired copyrights.

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
5 of 24

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

But yeah, they always seem to be people who have made it work for a month, two, maybe three... but if you check their earnings now, they've either not got an account any more, or they made 50% in the first few months and then 50% in the following few years. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 24

My two cents?

If a person offers to sell something, and another person freely chooses to buy it, that is a good thing. That's what makes the world go 'round.

When you are forced to pay someone or some government for something you don't want, then there is a reason to complain. But I have no complaints about genuine free market capitalism, even when the product being offered is of no interest to me personally. Most products offered are of no interest to me. But they're of interest to some people... Even re-packaged wisdom about how to succeed on Upwork.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 24

Nichola...nope. Nothing verbatum, although the same advice abounds.

Preston...yeah, I get that. It is just that, as you say, I wouldn't go buy it. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 24

Sounds like the "make money online" schmucks who create these websites and make no money but have a blog about making money online. lol

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
9 of 24

@Jennifer M wrote:

Sounds like the "make money online" schmucks who create these websites and make no money but have a blog about making money online. lol

And they always have a thing on their website where if you try and close the tab, you get a pop up saying 'please don't leave' or something like that.  

"But wait... there's more!"

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Leader
Naeema M Member Since: Sep 18, 2015
10 of 24

I agree. Some very clever marketing techniques to target people who are not confident enough of themselves. I believe if you can read and understand English there is hardly any so-called skill you need to pay to learn. But I guess, there are many folks out there who just can't fathom that life can be as simple as that!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS