🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » "Look what the cat dragged in..."
Page options
petra_r
Community Member

"Look what the cat dragged in..."

literally...

Natrix Natrix (grass snake) babyNatrix Natrix (grass snake) baby

Neither cat, myself or snake were hurt during the taking of photos with the phone, little snake was safely released back into the olive grove after its photo opportunity 🙂

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
reinierb
Community Member

I also don't think I would have kept cats if they were forced to walk on leashes. It's against the natural order of things to prevent a cat from living free. 

However, about snakes. I live right in the middle of the distribution area of several highly venomous snakes, including three cobra subspecies, black mambas, various adders, and some very dangerous arboreal snakes.

Although the numbers of all of them have declined in recent years due to increased development in my immediate surroundings, all of them are still present in fairly large numbers and many people here  encounter dangerous snakes on an almost daily basis. For instance, two years ago, my neighbour from two properties down was killed by a 10-ft long black mamba that chased a rat into his house. Rather stupidly, he tried to shoo it out of the house with a broom, but the snake took grave exception and bit him seven times. My neighbour died before his wife could get him to the nearest hospital, which is about 30 minutes away.    

Cobras, of which there are still many in the area, tend to enter houses in search of shelter in summer, and one of their favourite hidey-holes is beds. No one knows exactly why cobras like crawling into beds, but many people get bitten this way, so we all shake out our beds in summer before getting into them. 

Puff-addders on the other hand, don't get away from you. They catch their prey by ambushing small animals, and  people often get bitten simply because they never saw the snake. Some victims die, but those that don't suffer horrendous tissue damage that can take years to heal. 

Enough of horror stories though. My biggest fear is for my two small grand children who live with me. Any of the venomous snakes that occur here can kill a child in considerably less than an hour, but even adults invariably die from untreated mamba bites. Sadly though, anti-venin is horribly expensive, and most state-run hospitals don't have any because that can't afford to keep it, so unless you have the money (and lots of it) to pay for treatment at a private hospital, you generally die from a mamba bite in anything from a couple of hours, to a few days.

Overall, I live in a beautiful area but I watch my grandchildren very, very closely, and I kill all  snakes on sight (venomous or not) because that cute, harmless mole or brown house snake my grandchild may be playing with could turn out to be a black mamba. Pity my kitten was not big enough to have killed the snake she was playing with, though.   

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
reinierb
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

literally...

Natrix Natrix (grass snake) babyNatrix Natrix (grass snake) baby

Neither cat, myself or snake were hurt during the taking of photos with the phone, little snake was safely released back into the olive grove after its photo opportunity 🙂

I'm glad that there was a happy ending to this photo opportunity. In the case of one of my Samantha's kittens things ended differently.

The kitten played with an Egyptian cobra that was not much bigger than this baby grass snake, and got bitten. I found the baby cobra curled up against the dead kitten. I killed it.  

petra_r
Community Member

I am sorry to hear that, Reinier 😞 I'd have killed that snake too...

I know my snakes so this one was obviously harmless and useful. We do have poisomous snakes here (adders - Vipera berus) but I have never heard (first hand) of them ending up being fatal to a pet and nor has my brother who is a wildlife scientist. We actually discussed that just the other day.

I always check very carefully when they drag snakes in, it's been a grass snake every single time (I must admit the pretty huge (97 cm) black one 3 years ago did have me a little worried until I saw the yellow "ear patches")

I like love just about all animals bar mozzies and ticks and fleas (OK, and rats) so generally whatever gets dragged in gets taken off cats and safely released. It's usually lizards (mostly) and geckos (more rarely.) Very occasionally birds (which I find terribly sad) and lots of mice which are usually mostly eaten by the time I find them (or what's left of them...)

Glad you did so Reinier...

I would have not just killed it, but gone into Fury mode and hack the serpent into oblivion.

Also glad your furbaby is safe Petra!

I live in an area where it is illegal to let your cat outside (without a leash) and you will face a hefty fine, with jail time for repeated offenses, and it's stories like this that make me really happy for that law. We've found a few Copperheads in our yard recently, and it's terrifying to think what they could do to any little cats.

@Madison R wrote:

I live in an area where it is illegal to let your cat outside (without a leash) and you will face a hefty fine, with jail time for repeated offenses, and it's stories like this that make me really happy for that law. We've found a few Copperheads in our yard recently, and it's terrifying to think what they could do to any little cats.

I am not sure I would keep cats in that case. Mine adore being outside, to varying degrees. My (feral born) oldest is actually a real homebody and rarely leaves the house and garden, but one of the middle children vanishes for days on end (she spends most of her time in a vineyard) in summer.

Yes, danger lurks everywhere, but frankly every time I leave the house I could get run over by a bus or drown in the sea when I go swimming etc.

That little snake above is as dangerous as a sparrow and cute as hell in my opinion. I suspect I'd be more scared of the copperheads for myself than the cats....

reinierb
Community Member

I also don't think I would have kept cats if they were forced to walk on leashes. It's against the natural order of things to prevent a cat from living free. 

However, about snakes. I live right in the middle of the distribution area of several highly venomous snakes, including three cobra subspecies, black mambas, various adders, and some very dangerous arboreal snakes.

Although the numbers of all of them have declined in recent years due to increased development in my immediate surroundings, all of them are still present in fairly large numbers and many people here  encounter dangerous snakes on an almost daily basis. For instance, two years ago, my neighbour from two properties down was killed by a 10-ft long black mamba that chased a rat into his house. Rather stupidly, he tried to shoo it out of the house with a broom, but the snake took grave exception and bit him seven times. My neighbour died before his wife could get him to the nearest hospital, which is about 30 minutes away.    

Cobras, of which there are still many in the area, tend to enter houses in search of shelter in summer, and one of their favourite hidey-holes is beds. No one knows exactly why cobras like crawling into beds, but many people get bitten this way, so we all shake out our beds in summer before getting into them. 

Puff-addders on the other hand, don't get away from you. They catch their prey by ambushing small animals, and  people often get bitten simply because they never saw the snake. Some victims die, but those that don't suffer horrendous tissue damage that can take years to heal. 

Enough of horror stories though. My biggest fear is for my two small grand children who live with me. Any of the venomous snakes that occur here can kill a child in considerably less than an hour, but even adults invariably die from untreated mamba bites. Sadly though, anti-venin is horribly expensive, and most state-run hospitals don't have any because that can't afford to keep it, so unless you have the money (and lots of it) to pay for treatment at a private hospital, you generally die from a mamba bite in anything from a couple of hours, to a few days.

Overall, I live in a beautiful area but I watch my grandchildren very, very closely, and I kill all  snakes on sight (venomous or not) because that cute, harmless mole or brown house snake my grandchild may be playing with could turn out to be a black mamba. Pity my kitten was not big enough to have killed the snake she was playing with, though.   

Well, feral cats belong outside but domesticated cats do not. It's been proven that indoor cats live three times longer than outdoor cats, are healthier, happier, and don't bring in dead animals (though that's only a plus for the human).

I've never known someone with an outdoor cat whose cat lived past five and didn't die in some horrific way, usually eaten by coyotes. I have three indoor cats, one who is leash trained and goes hiking with me often, and none of them could survive a day outside. We tried it, and one fell off the back deck and broke his leg. House cats just aren't meant to live outside. 

Here is a great read from some world-class veterinarians about why letting cats go outside is a bad idea: https://pets.webmd.com/cats/features/should-you-have-an-indoor-cat-or-an-outdoor-cat#1

@Madison R wrote:

Well, feral cats belong outside but domesticated cats do not.

There is no biological difference between feral cats and domesticated cats. Feral cats are simply domestic cats without a home.

You can keep your cats any which way you see fit, I keep mine the way I believe is right (for them.)

I've kept cats all my life, and not one of them came to a premature end due to anything that happened to them outside. All but one lived well into their teens. The one that died young had an inbred issue.

If cats were so much "happier" staying indoors, they'd stay indoors given the choice. Most do not.

Obviously there are situations (such as living in the middle of a city or next to a main road) where letting cats out is simply too dangerous, or as in your case, not allowed, but I have always made my property decisions with my animals in mind so I'd not live somewhere I can't keep my pets happily and (relatively) safely.

The main reason I chose the place I live in now is because it backs onto a large olive grove which is a perfect (and very safe) playground for kitties.

In my area there are no coyotes or mambas, or anything so exotic or dangerous.
Only foxes, which can attack cats when food is over.
I have a cat and it is at home and on the street (I live in the countryside).

I do not know if he will live less because of the dangers that are "out there", but I do not think of leaving him constantly at home.
He enjoys so much chasing everything that moves, climbing the trees, socializing with the chickens ...
We have a bad time when he does not come back, sometimes, at night. But it's a joy when it appears early in the morning, greets you and goes up quickly for food.
And, afterwards, he spends the day sleeping. The hangover, I suppose ... 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths