cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"This is how talent figures out what you need and why you’re great to work with!"

roberty1y
Community Guru
Robert Y Member Since: Aug 25, 2017
1 of 31

Where does this expression come from? I see it sometimes in job postings. Google isn't of much help.

sullivanliz
Community Leader
Liz S Member Since: Oct 22, 2020
2 of 31
It's part of the text clients see when they post a job. People sometimes leave it in by mistake, or maybe copy/paste it because they're just trying out the platform or don't know what they're doing.
martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
3 of 31

We really need to start a petition to not be called talent. I'm not a 18-year old waitress in LA auditioning for acting jobs. If upwork likes calling us talent so much, I alternatively petition to call it the worlds largest talent platform, where clients meet talent, and people create profiles for talenting. Please rename the forum section from "freelancers" to "talent" too. 

sullivanliz
Community Leader
Liz S Member Since: Oct 22, 2020
4 of 31
I agree, 'talent' makes me feel a bit queasy.
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 31

I can't think of any regular Forum participants who use the term "talents" to refer to freelancers.

It strikes me as something only Upwork uses, and does so inconsistently. I assume it is part of marketing.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
6 of 31

Preston H wrote:

I can't think of any regular Forum participants who use the term "talents" to refer to freelancers.

It strikes me as something only Upwork uses, and does so inconsistently. I assume it is part of marketing.

This is just me personally, but the word "talent"  seems to also negate that most of us have built our careers, knowledge, expertise, and craft over years and years and hundreds of projects figuring out the best ways to do things, the fastest ways to do things, and truly becoming experts. "Talent" indicates to me that we are talking about an innate gift that someone is born with, not the immense amount of work we all have put in to be incredibly good at what we do. "Talent" makes me feel like I haven't worked hard to be this good, and I need someone to "handle" me. 

Upwork is not my agent. They do not represent me. I do not like being referred to as "Talent".  

roberty1y
Community Guru
Robert Y Member Since: Aug 25, 2017
7 of 31

Amanda said:

"Talent" makes me feel like I haven't worked hard to be this good, and I need someone to "handle" me. 

Well put. It's the sort of word people use for 18-year-old singers who need a manager and publicist. 

claudiacezy
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
8 of 31

Martina P wrote:

We really need to start a petition to not be called talent.

Maybe it's not just a coincidence Upwork's rebranding vs Upwork defending in court, showing evidence that they use the word "freelancer" in their mobile app to describe their users and that the word “freelancer” is well-known and defined as “someone who is not permanently employed by a particular company, but sells their services to more than one company.”

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
9 of 31

Claudia Z wrote:

Martina P wrote:

We really need to start a petition to not be called talent.

Maybe it's not just a coincidence Upwork's rebranding vs Upwork defending in court, showing evidence that they use the word "freelancer" in their mobile app to describe their users and that the word “freelancer” is well-known and defined as “someone who is not permanently employed by a particular company, but sells their services to more than one company.”

But that still doesn't describe many of us. I have a "Freelancer" account, but I'm permanently employed by my consulting firm, which is what is listed on Upwork for my taxes and my bank account. 

claudiacezy
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
10 of 31

Amanda L wrote:

But that still doesn't describe many of us. I have a "Freelancer" account, but I'm permanently employed by my consulting firm, which is what is listed on Upwork for my taxes and my bank account. 

I think someone working in recruitment could explain better this talent thing, there's more to it but something like "Talent acquisition tends to focus on long-term human resources planning and finding appropriate candidates for positions that require a very specific skillset" https://www.jobvite.com/blog/recruiting-process/what-is-the-difference-between-recruitment-and-talen...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS