🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » sad case of desperation
Page options
ivanstrug
Community Member

sad case of desperation

COVID seems to have pretty heavy impact on all of us, but some are more impacted than others. It seems that some of the clients are more impacted than consultants. I was invited to bid for a project for a guy who runs couple of gray businesses (grey trading in event tickets and what seems to be unregistered Airbnb listings) - he basicly invested all his networth in tickets for the upcomming events and now is stuck. He wants to get a government grant or government loan. I doubt that he will be able to get anything (and I explained why in my response to his invite), but the guy is really desparate and he sent out 361 invites. My question is - can you really process 361 responses? Earlier this year I posted a job for unpaid intern on LinkedIn and I got more than 300 responses, but it was much earier for me to screen people, as I was only looking for people from 5-6 universities and who live in NYC. Processing responses from 361 freelancers would probably take a couple of weeks at least.   

21 REPLIES 21
danastere
Community Member

Well you just said it he is desperate, he will go thru all of them, because he needs answers or a solution.

On the other side, I am an event organizer, the airbnb are probably linked to the places where the events are being held. Why can`t he refund them and sell them differently. There are solution because to his problem. Organizers are going above and beyond to retain customers.

361 invites and none to me. the person that actually is up to speed with everithing :))

lysis10
Community Member

I’ve been looking for a place to rent on the water in Maine for when all the hysteria is over and I found that homeaway has much nicer places.
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Ivan S wrote:

I was invited to bid for a project for a guy who runs couple of gray businesses (grey trading in event tickets and what seems to be unregistered Airbnb listings) - he basicly invested all his networth in tickets for the upcomming events and now is stuck. 

Do you mean that he's a ticket tout? If so, then I'm glad he's stuck. People like that are the reason I never got to see Prince or Tom Petty. 😞

If Covid causes the demise of StubHub that will be one of its very few positive effects.

florydev
Community Member

Kelly B wrote:

If Covid causes the demise of StubHub that will be one of its very few positive effects.

I once worked for StubHub and as also, as Christine is calling them, a ticket tout.  It is probably the most morally objectionable work I have ever done.  Well I have also worked for engineers...so it's close.

lysis10
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

Kelly B wrote:

I once worked for StubHub and as also, as Christine is calling them, a ticket tout.  It is probably the most morally objectionable work I have ever done.  Well I have also worked for engineers...so it's close.

I worked for an engineering firm where the developers would get mad if you called them developers and not engineers. lmao So OF COURSE I called them developers and then said "OOOPSIE teehee my bad."

florydev
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Kelly B wrote:

I worked for an engineering firm where the developers would get mad if you called them developers and not engineers. lmao So OF COURSE I called them developers and then said "OOOPSIE teehee my bad."

That's funny because I am the exact opposite.  I don't like being called a software engineer because:

a) I don't have an engineering degree nor am I licensed to practice as an engineer

b) I have known too many engineeers including my dad

I also wouldn't call what I do engineering.

I thought about it since I wrote this and I have to say my last real job was working for an engineering firm and I built them an amazing piece of software that nobody thought would get done and they showed it off to the whole company then fired me (laid off but what's the diff) four months later.  They then took a 20-something EE who had done some Python and hand him over to my partner on the project and said to her "train him up".  That project failed.  It probably could have made the company 10's of Millions of dollars a year but they never would have done it anyway because it wasn't engineering.

But when I worked for the Ticket Broker twice I did them a solid and once I got an immediate raise and once I got a bonus of part of them money PayPal gave to them to implement something.  I am going to go with Ticket Brokers as better than enginerds.

Mark F wrote:

Kelly B wrote:

The last time I tried to get Tom Petty tickets, he was playing the Albert Hall in London so there was pretty limited seating. Half a dozen friends and I were hovering over our keyboards waiting for the tickets to go on sale at 9 a.m. The first person got through at 9:01 and it was already sold out. 😞 And of course, a moment later when we checked the tout websites, there were already hundreds of tickets listed for as much as £1,000 each. I truly hope that all of those scumbag websites go bankrupt now, but I bet they'll apply for bailouts and probably get them. 

Christine A wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Kelly B wrote:

The last time I tried to get Tom Petty tickets, he was playing the Albert Hall in London so there was pretty limited seating. Half a dozen friends and I were hovering over our keyboards waiting for the tickets to go on sale at 9 a.m. The first person got through at 9:01 and it was already sold out. 😞 And of course, a moment later when we checked the tout websites, there were already hundreds of tickets listed for as much as £1,000 each. I truly hope that all of those scumbag websites go bankrupt now, but I bet they'll apply for bailouts and probably get them. 

They actually sell tickets before they have them, but yes it is completely unfair.

Christine A wrote:

Ivan S wrote:

I was invited to bid for a project for a guy who runs couple of gray businesses (grey trading in event tickets and what seems to be unregistered Airbnb listings) - he basicly invested all his networth in tickets for the upcomming events and now is stuck. 

Do you mean that he's a ticket tout? If so, then I'm glad he's stuck. People like that are the reason I never got to see Prince or Tom Petty. 😞

Is "ticket tout" the Brit Brit version of a scalper?

florydev
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Ivan S wrote:

I am assuming but they prefer to be called ticket brokers.

Mark F wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Ivan S wrote:

Broker, schmoker. They're scum. But I thought it wasn't PC to say "scalper" any more? 

Christine A wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Ivan S wrote:

Broker, schmoker. They're scum. But I thought it wasn't PC to say "scalper" any more? 

Did you just put PC and Jen in the same sentence?

Mark F wrote:

Did you just put PC and Jen in the same sentence?

Don't be silly - that comment was for you. But I'm just going to call people "douchecanoes" from now on (thank you Jennifer!!!!).

In the UK, garbage collectors are called sanitation engineers or waste disposal professionals ... people get paid to think up PC titles. 

Nichola L wrote:

In the UK, garbage collectors are called sanitation engineers or waste disposal professionals ... people get paid to think up PC titles. 

Here they tried to call janitors surface technicians. It never caught on that much.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Here they tried to call janitors surface technicians. It never caught on that much.

I bet it sounds awesome au français though.

Mark F wrote:

en français

It sounds like someone thinks janitors need to feel better about themselves.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Mark F wrote:

en français

I knew that was probably wrong...**bleep** you high school French

lysis10
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

Rene K wrote:

Mark F wrote:

en français

I knew that was probably wrong...**bleep** you high school French

Everyone knows the only reason to learn another language is to curse in that language. All the other words are useless to me.

florydev
Community Member

d**n, you can't say d*m*

Maybe I should have wrote it in French...Rene?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths