Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community User Ranks Explained

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 23

Hi all,

We’ve heard from some of you who have questions on the titles that show under your profile name here on the Upwork Community. I’m here to shed more light on these user "rankings" and how they work.

Ranks are intended to help all of us identify frequent and valued contributors to the Upwork Community. This is a common practice in many online communities where it’s helpful for users to quickly identify those participants who are most active.  Some communities even find this to be a motivating function for their users, as graduating up the rankings becomes a fun and engaging exercise.

The rankings are largely based on activity and "age", i.e. how long you've been registered on the Community. We also have some user ranks reserved for Upwork teams and the occasional "guest" participant. You’ll graduate up the rankings as you’ve been on the Community, posted to discussions and viewed threads.

Here then is a summary of the user ranks, in order of newest to most experienced:

1. Forum explorer
  2. Frequent visitor
  3. Active member
  4. Power member
  5. Ace Contributor
  6. Community Leader
  7. Community Guru
  8. VIP (Upwork can also assign this rank)

Additional ranks assigned by Upwork:

• Community Manager
  • Staff
  • Featured Content Expert
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
2 of 23
thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Also, would it be possible to have the oDesk logo under the names of official oDesk staff to avoid forum explorers from thinking that active members are working for the platform?

Personally, I don't mind it much when they send emails/PMs asking for help etc but I think its much better when it's clear who are part of oDesk's team to avoid miscommunication.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 23
Thank you so much for posting this information. This is very helpful!

I know that some contractors who post on the forums have complained about the user ranks/labels.

But I don't mind them at all. I think they are helpful.

(Obviously the one thing missing is something more clearly identifying actual oDesk staffers/representatives versus regular oDesk users/contractors/clients), but I know that this has already been mentioned many times and I'm sure is being worked on.)
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
4 of 23

Thank you Garnor for following up with your commitment to the oDesk Community regarding observation made by myself and others about "Community User Ranks."

Nonetheless, I agree with DM and PH whereby DM suggests an 'oDesk logo under the names of official oDesk staff,' and PH points out the lack of  'something more clearly identifying actual oDesk staffers/representatives versus regular oDesk users/contractors/clients.'

Regarding communities that stimulate users by implementing processes whereby users progress up a ladder of rankings; thus, establishing an enjoyable and engaging user environment; some communities also deploy some "users" solely to "engage" with others in their communities. Therefore, "transparency" is of utmost importatance. That is, transparency by distinguishing between persons working for communities versus those that do not; hence, avoiding misinterpretations, misunderstandings, and similar unwanted situations.

Again, Garnor, thank you very much for your timely support. Kudos to Garnor! And, of course, Kudos to DM and PH!

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
5 of 23

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I'll see what we can do about adding a logo alongside our staff members. I agree that can help with the confusion.

Ace Contributor
Tousif A Member Since: Nov 17, 2016
6 of 23

Thanks for the information Garnor. 

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 23

Is there any current user with the rank of VIP? I've never seen one myself.

8 of 23

Hi John,

No, currently there are no members with the VIP rank. Community Ranks is something we do plan to re-evaluate next year though. We'll keep the Community updated about any changes.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
9 of 23

Yo John, wassup? You shouldn't have asked that question in the first place. If there were any VIP members, you sure as heck would have been one, because if you aren't a VIP then who is anyway. Peace!

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
10 of 23

Wassim, I'm immune to flattery, but thanks anyway. Cat Wink I can't help myself, I love obscure factoids, like who are the community VIPs. Cat Very Happy