🐈
» Community » Community Blog » After 4 Months of Great Experience: My 4 Upwo...
Page options
Dec 13, 2023
After 4 Months of Great Experience: My 4 Upwork Golden Rules

Hi, everyone.

I'm Tural Babashov, and my niche is graphic design, especially logo design. I've earned 16+ jobs in my first freelancing months on Upwork. Before beginning to freelance on Upwork, I learned everything about Upwork freelancing. I want to be the first freelancer on Upwork who has the biggest earning amount and works. We're about to shorten your learning curve.

Today, I will share my main 4 golden rules in Upwork that help me to get more jobs and money:

1. Set up My Feed as your long list.
  2. Three downvotes three times a day.
  3. Speed is critical.
  4. Pricing low on your first couple of jobs.

You will improve your business with thisw rules. great success in your journey...

It takes most people weeks or even months to get their first job on Upwork. But how can we solve this problem, and can get jobs at the beginning of our careers?

You want your first job on Upwork, and you want it ASAP.

So, I'm going to share with you my four golden rules to winning your first job, including my three-by-three method that I think you're going love, and I'm even going to give you my advice on how you should set your Upwork rate.

But first, let's talk about what people are doing wrong:
Chad wanted to charge crazy rates right out of the gate with no justification.
Didn't want to put in the effort to look at what successful people were doing well.
Didn't include work examples in his proposals, then only two proposals out and thought yeah that's going be enough.
He wasn't responsive to clients and then he didn't even get on the phone with them when they showed interest.
He was literally putting more effort into social media than into getting jobs.

That sort of person cannot be successful.

I'm going to go ahead and say don't do that.

I'm also going to tell you what you should do and especially how you should approach pricing. If you've done the Upwork readiness test and you've 100% of your profile then you're ready to start sending proposals.

4 GOLDEN.jpg

So, let's get into those four golden rules of getting your first Upwork job:

Golden Rule #4:
Set up My Feed as your long list.

• You want to use Upwork's advanced search function to catch everything in your niche.
  • Set up your searches, then save them, because all of those then feed into My Feed.
  • If you have, for example, PHP and web development and node.js as three separate advanced searches that you have saved. Those are then going to feed into my feed and all of that then aggregates.

Golden Rule #3: 
You want to follow the three-by-three method. It stands for three downvotes three times a day.
Do you want to win a job? This is literally how to do it. This is going massively to speed up your daily workflow and help you shortlist and apply like a robot.

• Give the thumbs down to three irrelevant projects in a row at the top of your My Feed long list.
  • Then go down your long list and put a heart on the good jobs. Keep doing that until you get to your next three downvoted in a row because that tells you here's where you last checked your job listings.
  • Now you go over to save jobs and this is now your short list. So, you apply them one by one and remove them from the save jobs list until you've applied to all of the save jobs that you shortlisted.
  • Do that three times a day and you will get a job.

Golden Rule #2:
Speed is critical.
Think of it like this, you lost your keys, they're somewhere in your house, but you just don't know where. You spend 15 minutes, half an hour, an hour maybe looking for them. And guess what? They're always in the last place you look, right?
Of course, because you stopped looking when you found them.

• The same concept applies when Upwork clients are looking for someone to do their job.
  • If you're one of the first people to apply for a job and you're a good fit, then they might not even talk to anyone else because they found you.
  • So, what does that mean for you? For now, you only apply to jobs posted in the last 24 hours.

Golden Rule #1:
Pricing low on your first couple of jobs is okay.
All of the gurus say don't price low on your first job. But here's the #1 thing that no one else is going to tell you, It actually is totally fine and actually will help you go faster.

The first job that I ever did on Upwork was a $200 fixed-price job. This was for something that other people were charging $1,500 to $3,000 for.

My second job was an hourly job at $30 an hour, which was pretty low for my niche.

But guess what?
My third job was at $75 an hour. And within five weeks, I was booking work at $100 an hour. And then the sixth week, I booked work at $120 an hour. Start with slightly lower than what you're comfortable with.

• Deliver value to your clients, and you'll build to where you want to go faster.
  • And on that note, if you want to book more work faster, then just ask.

Conclusion:
What is your number one question about Upwork that you want answered?
Put your question in the comments section below and you will get an answer.

In the meantime, remember, that persistence wins jobs. Don't quit. Sometimes even I go for weeks without a new project. If you want to win your first job, you've got to keep going until you win it. Your target is to apply to 100 jobs.

Also, accept that you're going to make mistakes along the way. You should actively seek to make those mistakes so that you can learn from them because that's going to unlock your ability to scale.

33 Comments