🐈
» Community » Community Blog » Career Advice From the President and CEO of U...
Page options
Jan 09, 2023
Career Advice From the President and CEO of Upwork, Hayden Brown

It’s a new year and with it comes new opportunities to grow our businesses and careers. To help you achieve your goals, we’ve collected career and business advice from executives within Upwork, human resources experts, experienced freelancers, and business leaders. January might be over, but we’ve still got more tips to share. You can subscribe to the blog to avoid missing this valuable insight.

Today's advice comes from the President and Chief Executive Officer of Upwork, Hayden Brown: 

hayden_final.png

Here's Hayden's full message:

One of the best things I've done throughout my career from the very start has been prioritizing learning over earning: I pursued roles that helped me learn and develop skills instead of maximizing short-term earnings. I followed paths to situations where I could work with and for people who inspired me and were incredible mentors. I draw on these skills and these people as tremendous resources even today. So my advice is, follow the path to jobs that test and teach you - don’t just pursue dollars. Find a mentor, someone who inspires you. Early in your career, focus on learning the most you possibly can, and take a long-term view. This will help you create value over time. And with that, the earnings will come!

50 Comments