🐈
» Community » Community Blog » Career CloseUp: How I Scored a $1200 Deal on ...
Page options
Dec 08, 2023
Career CloseUp: How I Scored a $1200 Deal on Upwork for My First Client

From newbie to $40/hour maestro! Dive into my playbook, as a Top Rated Freelancer who cracked the code on landing the first dream job. Unveil the secrets behind how I turned 30 hours of work into a $1200 payday! Ready for a freelancing triumph? Let's break it down step by step.

From 'Hello' to 'Hooray' Navigating Upwork Success through Reviews-2.png

Introduction:

Embarking on the journey of freelancing was never part of my grand plan; it was more like the universe casting its magical spell. About a year and a half ago, I stumbled upon Upwork, and that serendipitous encounter marked the beginning of a transformative expedition.

Like many of you, my Upwork profile initially showcased only a meager two portfolio pieces. Fast forward to today, and that number has soared to an impressive 35. But let's rewind to where it all began—the sheer elation of landing my first gig, an experience that defied adequate expression.

They say the first hire is a pivotal moment, a turning point when freelancers often buckle down and commit wholeheartedly to the Upwork journey. I stumbled upon a piece of advice that resonated deeply: "Learn how to earn $1 and replicate the process; watch it grow." This mantra fueled my motivation and planted the seeds of this article, a testament to the power of persistence and hope.

Picture this: I started with the usual challenges—a tumultuous personal life and the demanding throes of a professional existence. Yet, despite the odds, I dedicated countless nights to mastering my craft. Remarkably, within a mere three weeks, I clinched a project that translated into a significant $1200 windfall.

The journey wasn't without its share of hurdles, but this narrative isn't just about my triumph; it's a beacon of motivation and reassurance. Join me as I unravel the steps, share the highs and lows, and hopefully inspire you with the tale of how perseverance and learning the ropes led to that elusive $1200 milestone.

Setting the Scene:

In the beginning, I was applying to lots of jobs, but no one was responding. Then, out of the blue, I got a reply! The client wanted to have a video chat on Zoom. This was a big deal for me. I didn't just say yes; I prepared like I was getting ready for a job interview. I learned a bit about sales, dressed nicely for the meeting, and showed off what I knew, all while promising to make their project amazing.

After the job was done, I couldn't help but ask the client, "Why me?" Their answer was surprising. They had talked to other people with more experience, but those folks turned off their cameras during the Zoom call and didn't really pay attention. So, it turned out that just being present and engaged in the conversation made a huge difference.

This moment taught me that it's not just about having the skills; it's about showing them, especially when talking to a potential client. That Zoom call wasn't just a meeting—it was the start of a successful collaboration.

The Proposal Process:

In the early days, I was pretty much starting from scratch. Honestly, I had zero fancy skills, and I had no clue how to write a super professional proposal. But, I did have a couple of important things going for me: confidence in what I was saying and a genuine desire to help the client succeed.

Even though I only had one or two portfolio works to show, I remember sharing one with them. And, by some stroke of luck, they liked it! The lesson here is, especially when you're just starting out, you might not know all the fancy ways, and that's totally okay. What matters most is being honest and respectful. It's about confidently expressing what you can bring to the table and having a real interest in helping your client succeed.

Remember, even in the early days, sincerity and respect can open doors you might not expect.

Communication with the Client:

This is the part where patience becomes your best friend. Choosing the right freelancer is no walk in the park for the client either. I went through about 3-4 rounds of long interviews—tough, right? But here's the thing: every meeting is like playing a card from your skill deck, and each one has the potential to bring you closer to that golden contract.

Remember, in the world of freelancing, replies aren't just messages; they show interest. Meetings go a step further—they demonstrate genuine interest. And, well, we all know what no reply means, right? 😂

Conclusion:

This blog isn't just a collection of tips; it's a beacon of honest hope for those still navigating the challenge of landing that elusive first job on Upwork. Trust me, Upwork is more than just a platform—it's a game-changer. For those who've weathered storms before discovering this oasis, Upwork feels like a gift from the heavens.

To anyone still struggling, I say this: Upwork is an incredible space. It's not just a platform; it's a door to new possibilities. For those who've faced trials in the professional world before finding their footing here, Upwork is nothing short of a divine blessing.

I always emphasize to fellow freelancers and professionals alike: don't just master your craft, learn how to sell it. Dive into good books, absorb the wisdom they offer—it's a game-changer. So, as you embark on your journey, remember, it's not just about the skills you possess; it's about how you present them to the world.

Here's to your continued success, growth, and an exciting journey ahead. May every proposal, every meeting, and every project bring you closer to your dreams. Best wishes for the remarkable journey that lies ahead!

If you are interested, check out my profile on Upwork.

40 Comments