🐈
» Community » Community Blog » This Is How We Work Now: Sherry's Story
Page options
Oct 19, 2022
This Is How We Work Now: Sherry's Story

When I was in my early 20s I knew I wanted to own my own business, I just didn't think it was possible.  "What do I do?  What kind of business should I own?  How do I go about starting it?  Is there a business out there meant for me?"  I went into corporate America and found great success there.  Despite the great success, and being deeply grateful for the careers I've had, some part of my spirit always suffered. I knew there was more out there for me than the limited opportunities that lay before me within corporate America.

My father passed away and I moved to a small town in Missouri to live with my mother for a year.  There were no careers out here for someone with my skill set that would provide a quality of life.  One day, soon after moving here, it occurred to me to go online and start my own online sales business.  I thought it was crazy, as I had never heard of a salesperson going online and being able to build their own business.  However, I went online and within days started my own business through another freelancer platform. I had success there for around 6 years when things started to slow down on that platform and opportunities started to wane.  So, I thought I was out of business.

Before calling it quits, I looked for other freelancer platforms for salespeople.  I found Elance, and within 2 weeks was working full-time for a new client.  That project lasted 3 years.  During the end of that project, Upwork took over Elance and I've been with Upwork ever since.

Freelancing offers me a quality of life that is not available here in the local economy where I live.  Where most people work seasonal or part-time jobs.  It allows me to work from home.  I'm able to work outside.  I did try working outside one day years back.  I was super excited to get to enjoy the beautiful air.  However, I'm a telemarketer and the wind cut into the headset cutting out my speech where the clients could not hear me.  So, now, I only work outside for management jobs where I do not have to be on the phone.  So, I do have an inside office and an outside office.  I have yet to work from Starbucks, but I will make that a priority of mine to try.  

Only in the past year did I find another career that I can go into and continue to work from home and still have a high quality of life if anything ever happens to my freelancing lifestyle here on Upwork.  I did discover that new lifestyle through people I met while networking with prospective clients for a client of mine who hired me off of Upwork.  I hope to remain with Upwork until I retire.  However, I have a backup plan, if need be, thanks to my relationships gained on Upwork.

5 Comments