🐈
» Groups » Community Contributors » Forum » Re: What books have helped you grow your care...
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

What books have helped you grow your career?

Recently, freelancer Sudhir shared 8 books that changed his life and the impact that a reading habit had on his life and career. Among his book list, there’s a wide variety of books on topics ranging from self-help to leadership. His list includes books such as The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg and The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley, Ph.D. and William D. Danko.

Have you read any of the books Sudhir mentions? What books have helped you grow your career?

Cheers,
Mike
8 REPLIES 8
williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Mike, I rarely read books because they are outdated by the time they are published. I have read The Economist Magazine for the past 35 years to keep current. Have a wonderful day!

William, 

a book is never outdated.  I read a lot of

self help book and I have found that even the books written decades ago gives knowledge and information that's very much applicable to the current. 

We think that all of us are having unique problems / challenges, but that's not true. Billions of people in the past have dealt with similar situations in the past. 

Sudhir, 

I agree with you. I also love reading self help books and eventhough some information repeats over and over, each author has a different ideas and point of views at the same problem. What's your favorite book? If you just were to pick one, which one would it be?

Michaela Pacesova
eLearning Designer & Developer

Michaela, 

it's hard to pick one, it depends on what category you are looking for (self help, productivity, health, life improvement) 

If I have to pick just one, I will go with "the ONE thing" ... 

what about you ?

I've read the summary of the One thing and it's on my list to read the whole book. 

I agree, it's hard to pick one. I have a favorite and the next one I read becomes my favorite, and so on. 😉 For me, the 4-Hour Workweek was lifechanging, it gave me many ideas and helped me get into working remotely, so it was a favorite for a long time. 

Michaela Pacesova

William,

that's an interesting point of view. I agree to some degree.. Some books are definitely outdated by the time they get published but some are full of amazing advice that'll never get old. I have a few favorite books that I'm saving for my kids to read when they're mature enough and I'm sure they'll find useful information there. I believe it depends on the topic. Have you read the 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris? Check it out... I'm sure you'll find a few tidbits in there that might be interesting... 😉

Have an amazing day!

Michaela Pacesova
mpacesova
Community Member

Hi Mike,

great question. I love reading books! Especially non-fiction books. I have a few that definitely helped get to where I'm now:

The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris 

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki

all books by Dorie Clark

What Color Is Your Parachute by Richard N. Bolles (I read this when I was in college and still like to go back to reread some parts, amazing advice on how to get jobs and it's not by sending out resumes...)

The Freelancer's Bible by Sara Horowitz

Die with Zero by Bill Perkins

There are too many to list here. I also got a subscription to Blinkist which offers summaries of thousands of amazing books, so I read those and I like the summary, I get the book at the library. 

From the list you mentioned, I read two: The Millionaire Next Door (great book as well) and The Art of Not Giving a F*ck (also great).

How about you? Do you read books? What's your favorite?

Michaela Pacesova
mehreen-siraj
Community Member

Yes book reading broadens our vision, I read "rich dad poor dad", and "think and grow rich" that change my way of thinking in terms of entrepreneurship.