🐈
» Groups » Community Contributors » Forum » What do you appreciate most about a flexible ...
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

What do you appreciate most about a flexible work environment?

good-news

In addition to guiding contributors on authoring their own posts, this group will be used to collect thoughts on trending topics. Once we have enough meaningful responses, we (me, someone else on our Community Content team, or one of you) will organize these responses into a blog post. This way, more people can contribute without having to author an entire post. This is the first post for collecting such thoughts! So, please keep in mind that any response may be used in a future blog post.  

TIP: Try to keep your responses concise and as short as possible. It can be easy for meaning to be lost or misunderstood if the response has to be edited due to length; ideally, we want to share your whole response as a direct quote. If you find you have a lot to say, consider authoring your own blog post on the topic!

With all that out of the way, I’ll get to today’s question:

What do you appreciate most about a flexible work environment?

In a recent CNBC article, several conventional employees chimed in on how they’re changing their physical offices to lure employees back. A common theme was the idea that workers have many benefits to them within their homes that traditional offices don’t offer. These can be things such as the ability to work in varying locations, the presence of rest spaces, easy access to the outdoors, no commute, etc. 

What do you appreciate most about a flexible work environment? For me, the ability to work in varying locations (my desk doesn’t always inspire creativity) or step outside with my dog when I need to clear my head is huge. I also appreciate the easy access to my kitchen (no more packing lunches!) and the ability to have a quiet workspace (even when I worked in an office, I never had a private office). What's at the top of your list?

Cheers,
Mike
5 REPLIES 5
tephramiriam
Community Member

I agree with that Mike! I definitely feel that I can live a healthier lifestyle by working from home but I also know that some people are the opposite.

As a woman, I feel a lot safer being able to work from home and avoid potentially hazardous situations. There are also fewer opportunities that open the door to things like sexual harassment that you completely avoid by working from home and I think that's a good thing. 

I found this really interesting piece on Axios. 

Women prefer remote work at a higher rate than men, according to a new study by the jobs platform FlexJobs.

• About 68% of women said their preferred post-pandemic workplace would be remote, compared with 57% of men.
  • 80% of women ranked remote work as a top job benefit, compared with 69% of men.
  • 70% of women said not having to get dressed up for the office was a benefit, compared with 57% of men.
  • 60% of women enjoyed having more flexibility over their work schedules. And 48% of men said the same.

Thank you for sharing your experience and the research! The preference differences by gender are very interesting and an important part of this conversation. 

Cheers,
Mike
2c724a5e
Community Member

Mike,

I enjoy the holistic approach flexible work provides. For me, the ability to cook a proper meal and work during what I consider my "peak product time" is invaluable. The proper meal ensures I am fueled throughout the day and helps me withstand some of the longer meetings or working hours. For some, it may seem small but I find it critical to grinding through a workday.

Additionally, some of my best thoughts, breakthroughs, etc. come when I am in the middle of a walk in the park or during the morning time. I tend to peak after lunch and the normal work office does not provide the ability to get a proper 15-20 minutes break  (I am sure some do but my experience is minimal due to the amount of after-lunch meetings). Overall, flexible work enables me to be productive at my best times of the day and take a holistic approach, making it easier when work gets busy, meetings get long, and deadlines approach. 

Best,

Christopher

last - - it's nice having a chess set next to my desk as it has a lot of personal meaning and brings me that small bit of joy throughout the day.

MelindaM
Community Manager
Community Manager

Although it’s hard to pinpoint what I appreciate the most about a flexible work environment, I can say that a flexible work environment has completely changed my life. So I guess you could say what I appreciate the very most is the flexibility itself. 

The mental flexibility, the creative flexibility, the environmental flexibility–these have all been positive contributing factors to my quality of life.

With this type of work environment, I am able to breathe. My creativity no longer feels limited by the confines of a concrete building and cubicle, there’s flexibility in where (and when) I come up with ideas, and the pressure of a stifling environment is no longer there. Some of my best “ah ha” moments come when I step outside and let myself breathe; something I was rarely able to do when working in a traditional environment.

It’s my humble opinion that a flexible work environment should be an employment opportunity for every job, every career, every industry. There’s a lot of untapped brilliance out there and if more people were able to have flexibility and room to breathe, there would be alot more “ah ha” moments and overall happier human beings.

ShannonL
Community Manager
Community Manager

I most appreciate the independence and self-determination that naturally flows from a flexible work environment. I can steer the day's course with a degree of privacy, which contributes to the creation of uninterrupted emotional and mental space. Such a space--especially for work--promotes feelings of well-being, tranquility, and creativity.