🐈
» Groups » Community Contributors » Forum » “You’re impatient.” ← My grandmother
Page options
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

“You’re impatient.” ← My grandmother

I dream big when it comes to career goals. Really big. Yet, I don’t even give myself time to properly align myself to a goal before becoming frustrated. A couple of years ago, while visiting my grandparents, I was expressing frustration and my grandma dropped a very simple truth: “You’re impatient.” It took her pointing it out to me for me to truly see that I was often my own worst enemy. I expected results long before I could realistically hope to see them. I was being too hard on myself. I needed patience.

Has anyone ever pointed out a simple truth to you that changed how you approach your goals?

Cheers,
Mike
4 REPLIES 4
5ceef239
Community Member

Brilliant advice. I would say it depends how long your willing to wait. I was working for Upwork for $5 a gig for two months, when minimum wage was $15 an hour.  Some $5 gigs took 3 to 5 hours, however I was pursposely working for reviews. So at this point I was waiting for the universe to tell me something. Well 70 days later, I have 10 reviews and 5 testamonials and getting a grip of business. I think waiting is smart, but also listening to the universe. But don't sit there like a bump on a log after six months hoping for business and it doesnt show. The signals will always point the way. When you think about it, no signal is a signal. If you are unsure if you are on the right path, make a small adjustment and see if that changes results in your favor.

Hi Yousaf,

Nice advise.

How did you find work on upwork. The connects are exhausted but no hire. 

spxpert
Community Member

Rani,
Here is the order of actions for getting a job.

1. Create stunning profile,  highlight your skills, achievements, video introduction.
  2. Submit well crafted and focused proposals,  dont just throw your connects on vague job posts.
  3. Go tell the world,  be visible (community, blog posts, events, project portfolio).  Be everywhere
  4. (optiona) consider buying some connects / going for paid membership if that helps
3563078a
Community Member

Yes , when you finally discover it , you become a "new" person