cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Challenges of working with clients in different time-zones

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
1 of 20

On Upwork, freelancers can connect, work and receive payment from clients all over the world. However, along with the undeniable benefits and broad opportunities, there are challenges. One of the biggest challenges noted by freelancers who work with clients on the other side of the world is the time difference. For example, It can be rather difficult for a Ukrainian freelancer to stay up late for a meeting with a client in California. Some freelancers even filter their job search by location so they are able to work with clients in their time-zone.

Do you find it difficult to work with clients who are hours ahead or behind you? Do you alter your own schedule to accommodate the client’s needs, or avoid jobs that would require you to do so? Do you manage to take advantage of the time difference? Please, share your tips and best practices.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
2 of 20

I mostly work with clients that are 8 hours behind me, and there's really no problem with that. I had only one issue once, with a prospective client from Australia that wanted to talk on skype at 6pm his time (7am mine)... I don't usually wake up that early so, when he didn't show up, I was really furious! Smiley Sad

Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
3 of 20

I have health problems which contribute to poor sleep patterns. Being able to work in the middle of the night my time when it is normal business hours on the other side of the world is a huge benefit to my situation. I could get work locally, but being able to access clients globally is one of the main reasons I'm on UpWork.

Ace Contributor
Maggie C Member Since: Jul 20, 2015
4 of 20

I alter my schedule to accomodate my clients. My time zone is completely different from US time zones. I always check the time zone before taking the job and adjust accordingly.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 20

I'm OK with eight hours difference either way - but ten or twelve hours can be a schedule headache. I have worked with a New Zealand client (12 hours from France), but it was a long assignment so the time factor - except for the final deadline - wasn't that much of a problem. 

A really big time difference must be exhausting for VA freelancers - or for anyone who is hired for short time-sensitive projects.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 20

At present, this isn't an issue for me, but there have been two periods when it was. During one, I lived in the midwest but worked a full time day job based in Manhattan for a year. During that time, I had two clocks, and operated almost entirely on Eastern time except for my daughter's school schedule.

Years earlier, I wrote a book that was based heavily on interviews with musicians, producers, managers, etc. in Australia. That was much more of a challenge,as the time difference was 13 hours and I had a young child at the time. Many nights I was up doing phone interviews at 1 or 2 a.m. and then up with my daughter at 6:30. I don't have any tips around that one, except don't try it long-term. If i were doing it now, without a young child, I'd just flip my schedule for the duration.

Community Leader
Saiful I Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
7 of 20

Your post is really nice. I always like it. thanks

~ Saiful, Upwork Freelancer
Be honest, works will looking for you.
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 20

Depends on the job.

For the work I do, there is no expectation that I work at the same time as clients. I have had no problem working with clients in the Philippines, Australia, Hong Kong and England, although I live in Arizona.

Where we live was never even discussed with these contracts.

This is an important issue for some jobs, but for most jobs, it is not a factor.

Ace Contributor
Hossam A Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
9 of 20

Firstly, let me thank you for this cheerful post. I enjoyed reading the replies.

These days, I'm working with a client from New York. It's 6 hours behind from where I live (Alexandria, Egypt).

And I can tell you that time-zone isn't a problem for us both. Conversations between us are very smooth. It always requires me or him 5 minutes to reply. Maybe this happens because I communicate with him in proper times, like, 3 pm (GMT). It's 5 pm here in Alexandria and 11 am there in New York. So, there is absolutely no problem for me as I always choose when to communicate him.

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
10 of 20

It's hard for this part where I have to reject someone just because they have difficulties to understand that I sleep at 4 AM, and it's a weird thing this still happens, because it's easy to navigate to see what time is in my place.