cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenges of working with clients in different time-zones

Manuel M Member Since: Mar 17, 2016
11 of 20

I usually work with clients in the US and Europe timezones because it is easier for me to have great communication with them as my work at Upwork is part-time (I'm currently working for a big Corporation also).

Also, I think it depends on the job, for example, I had a client in UK that wanted to speak on Skype 4 o 5 times a day, even in morning UK hours (that means 2am until 6am in my country) and that was a big issue as you can imagine.

Community Leader
Stella L Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
12 of 20

I find it really challenging when I have to handle a project from Australia and one from the US running simultaneously, while I am located in the middle.

No complaints though, just another challenge :Smiley Happy

Barbra H Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
13 of 20

I don't typically have a problem working with clients in different time zones. Since I freelance full time, having clients from other parts of the world actually works out rather well for me as I can still schedule my own personal appointments during the day and then work at night if I need to have a direct conversation with a client. I've only had one so far that presented a real challenge, and that's because he seems to only be online between 2 and 4am and wants my answers right away, every time, and I just can't be up all night every night just in case he sends a message. But the job shouldn't take too long to complete, so I just do what I can.

Ewan H Member Since: Jan 31, 2017
14 of 20

Hi,

Working with people in different time zones it what I love about this site. I prefer to work with people who are 5-8 hrs behind me (People in the US). This means that I can work in the evening as I am busy during the working day. Really, it is what allows me to use on this site.

Ewan

Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010
15 of 20

I'm used to being awake at night ever since high school when I stay up to read books. I worked in call centers after college and it reinforced that habit because clients we cater to are from overseas (U.S./Canada in particular) whose business hours are the exact opposite of our timezone. 

You can always choose clients from places with almost the same timezone as yours, like Australia for thoseof us who live in the Asia Pacific area. 

Ace Contributor
Jerry A Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
16 of 20

Greetings, 

That is a great point pertaining to time zones. I will definitely take that into consideration once I start getting clients that are interested in my portfolio. 

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
17 of 20

@Jerry A wrote:

Greetings, 

That is a great point pertaining to time zones. I will definitely take that into consideration once I start getting clients that are interested in my portfolio. 

You don't have a portfolio.

Community Leader
Alan H Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
18 of 20

Good topic. I would really love to be waking up at 8 AM and sleeping normal hours, but this is nigh impossible with a global client base.  Australia is the toughest nut to crack, but I am currently servicing a Brisbane client, meeting him live a couple times a week at strange hours. 

Getting up early to go skiing in the winter or swimming in the summer is the only life force that pulls me back to a healthy lifestyle. That said, freelancing suits my body clock, which tends toward a 25 hour day. 

I have known freelancers in the Philippines and India who literally work themselves into an early grave accomodating western clients. Finishing the US work day just as the roosters are crowing, and perhaps a few hours before your young children wake up, then caring for them all day, catching a nap and doing it again, is not a sustainable lifestyle. 

Ace Contributor
Jerry A Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
19 of 20

Reinier B,

I just started working for upwork and I have not got one client, so my portfolio is empty.  Once  I get a client to place in my portfolio I will be super excited.  On that particuliar  post I was talking future sense assuming that a great client will realize that I'm a new contractor and have only been on the site less than a month. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
20 of 20

Jerry: your understanding of portfolios is incorrect. Portfolio items are not restricted to work you do for Upwork clients, or for pay.

A freelancer with no portfolio has no excuse. Freelancers may create items specifically for their portfolio.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS