When a contract is closed both the freelancer and client are asked to leave feedback for each other and share their experiences. Feedback helps freelancers and clients build their reputation on the platform. It’s also useful for others when making decisions on who they want to work with. We’ve frequently seen threads and questions relating to feedback and would like to clarify a few nuances that often lead to questions here on the forums.
When can I leave feedback?
- When closing a contract you can immediately leave public and private feedback.
- If the other party closed a contract, you will have 14 days to leave feedback, starting from the time the contract was closed. You will see a notification on your Jobs page about it.
When will I see my feedback?
- Public feedback will be displayed on a freelancer’s profile and on a client’s job posts once both of the following conditions are met:
- a payment of at least $1 has been made on the contract,
- both parties have left feedback or 14 days after the contract was closed, whichever comes first.
I’ve received feedback, but I’m not happy with it, what can i do?
- You can respond to feedback:
- Once you receive your feedback you’ll have 28 days after the contract closes to respond.
- You can enable changes:
- You can enable the other party to edit their feedback anytime after feedback becomes visible, or after the 14-day feedback period closes, whichever comes first.
- Enable feedback changes by going to your Contracts or Past Hires page, selecting the contract and then clicking the link “Enable client/freelancer to change feedback.”
- Once enabled the other party has 14 days to change their feedback.
- You can only enable changes to public feedback. Private feedback can’t be changed.
- Remember you can only enable changes once and you can’t cancel this action.
- You can remove feedback
- By fully refunding all the money paid on the contract, or
- By exercising the Top Rated Perk.
- You can dispute feedback
Have you ever replied to a feedback or enabled the other party to change their feedback and why?? How, if at all, did it affect your experience on Upwork?
Feel free to refer to this post whenever you or your client/freelancer have trouble understanding the feedback system.
There is some good information here, but I still don't think it addresses one of the biggest issues with feedback, namely that private feedback affects the JSS.
I understand that Upwork cannot mediate every disagreement between client and freelancer regarding feedback, and it is impossible to expect you to decide which party is being truthful. However, when a client deliberately leaves different private feedback than public feedback, Upwork has direct proof that the client is being untruthful, and that feedback should not count toward the JSS.
Clients benefit by leaving good public feedback because many contractors base their decision to take a job on a client's past feedback. To be clear, I'm not talking about a slight difference in feedback, where a client simply goes into a little bit more detail about a contract that was mostly positive. I'm talking about those instances when a client deliberately leaves positive public feedback and extremely negative private feedback, which, according to Upwork, can tank a JSS. By supporting this level of blatant dishonesty and unfairly harming a contractor's JSS, Upwork is limiting the accuracy and effectiveness of the JSS system.
Upwork should make it very clear to clients: if your private feedback is vastly different than your public feedback, it won't be counted.
Thanks for the reply Lisa. We disagree that when a client leaves different private and public feedback they are being dishonest. In most cases, there are specific reasons for those differences.
That said, this isn't a thread about JSS. Instead, we're hoping to inform some of the questions we hear on the forums regarding Feedback and the Feedback (receiving/leaving) process. We hope you can help keep that conversation on topic.
This is definitely Animal Farm time! Feedback is feedback whether private or public. Private feedback affects our JSS. We freelancers are concerned. We actually pay our way here - so I really do not see how private feedback or JSS is off topic.
Hi Upwork Team,
Why isn't all my feedback visible on my profile? When I view all my contracts, I see 9 Feedbacks. When I view my profile, I see only 3 of those.
It shouldn't be a private feedback matter since if it was private, I couldn't see it, as well.
Please advise and thank you very much,
I just opened your profile and was able to see 9 contracts with feedback from your clients and few more contract where no feedback was provided. Please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to double check this, thank you!
Yes, the change can be made for up to 14 days after you enable them to change feedback and after 14 days new changes will be public. You and your client can edit the feedback multiple times in that 14 day period.
Thank you very much Valeria but just another question
How this 14 Days are calculated ? as i enabled the client to change his feedback in a day different to the day at which the client enabled me to change my feedback
each one will calculate his 14 days different from the another or 14 days will end at the same time
It's 14 days after the client enabled the option to change your feedback. Please note that the feedback you receive will be visible only after you leave your feedback for the other party.